Single player , turn based or real time?

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Vinnie just a quick question,does your icons mod work with CW installed also.I like the red for Germans thats mainly what i'm after.Looks a good mod.

I don't have CW so I can't say for sure, but I am guessing it should. Only icons that are in CW, but not CMBN base the mod will have no effect on. I never made Brits so there is no blue set for them.

I like both. I prefer real time for smaller battles, feels more realistic to me.

I think so too. I have been playing mainly RT lately, and having done both RT and WEGO I definitely feel more like I am immersed in real battle playing RT. I can handle a Company fine in RT without pausing, but anything bigger I recommend WEGO as it gets to be a bit too much to handle smartly.

For anyone interested in trying their hand at RT for the first time I recommend playing tiny meeting engagements against the AI with both sides just having infantry with a 60 min time limit. The pace is not as crazy as one may think. The AI isn’t great, but will usually make a two-pronged push for the objectives so it will put up a little bit of a fight for you to practice on.

Yeah, now that I'm playing a few WEGO MP matches, I'm finding that my "rhythm" is all screwed up with WEGO. In RT, I'm fairly good with controlling my forces in response to the enemy's moves/countermoves but in WEGO I just can't seem to get the right pacing and miss way too many opportunities.

Damn, and here I was thinking I was a real man :D

I play RT with up to battalion + sized forces. I rarely use Pause. It all has to do with inherent micromanagement tendencies. I'm not, so it works really well for me. Though I too miss the ability to replay fun moments! However, I don't care if I miss things. For some perverse reason I find it a pleasurable challenge to scan over section of front and find my forces in tatters and I haven't a clue why.

Steve

Yeah, now that I'm playing a few WEGO MP matches, I'm finding that my "rhythm" is all screwed up with WEGO. In RT, I'm fairly good with controlling my forces in response to the enemy's moves/countermoves but in WEGO I just can't seem to get the right pacing and miss way too many opportunities.

Yeah, that is something you need to get used to but once you did so you are probably going to find WeGo to be much more comfortable than RT. At least this was the case for me.

Agreed. Indeed, I designed this to be played in RT...

http://www.battlefront.com/index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=314&func=fileinfo&id=2084

(Utterly shameless, if not shameful, plug)

Nothing shameless about pointing out ones work for other to know about Paper Tiger. Thanks for the link. I will check it out. I like the maps you have made so far. You always make good use of the flavor objects to give the landscape more character. I am on the last mission of the Road to Montebourgh campaign now, and enjoying it. Some moments have been very memorable like a real crazy shot from an ATG gun (think 3rd mission) that produced 8 casualties that were all well spread out. I was so surprised by that one as I was doing everything right by not bunching up. I have played it all WEGO, but started this last mission RT. So far I feel I am doing well handling it, but it looks like there will be butt loads of units than I prefer to manage RT under the current limitations of the game as far as situatonal awarness goes.

Is that against the AI or humans?

My guess is it is mostly against the AI. BF needs better support for RT game posting, and finding like a live chat room here on this forum. More people come here than anywhere else. That is how we did it in “Sudden Strike”, and I never had a hard time finding a game when I wanted to play RT at that moment I had time to play. This I feel is the main reason why the RT community here has not grown as well as it could.

Back in the grand old CMx1 days, we used to have the CMHQ chat here to help find opponents. Sigh, I miss those times...We had a good group going and used to play all kinds of games together like IL-2 and Battlefield Vietnam... :(

Agreed. Indeed, I designed this to be played in RT...

http://www.battlefront.com/index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=314&func=fileinfo&id=2084

(Utterly shameless, if not shameful, plug)

That is an entertaining little scenario Paper Tiger. I definitely recommend for anyone to try it for some fun, easy to manage RT. I approached it like Winters of BOB did splitting the men into two groups. One led by the Lt. went after the bunkers, while the others waited for the bunkers to be destroyed. When it was cleared “Winters”, and a squad took the guns then all ran to the exit. I had to run it twice since the first time I ran out of time. The guys after the bunkers just took too much time the first go.

My guess is it is mostly against the AI. BF needs better support for RT game posting, and finding like a live chat room here on this forum. More people come here than anywhere else. That is how we did it in “Sudden Strike”, and I never had a hard time finding a game when I wanted to play RT at that moment I had time to play. This I feel is the main reason why the RT community here has not grown as well as it could.

Do you play with the screen colours like your paintings?

Do you play with the screen colours like your paintings?

No, but when they make a screen with colors that glow under blacklight I’m sure I would give it a try ;). The palette for my works for blacklight are a natural byproduct of the specialty paints I use, which are fluorescents that glow when illuminated by it. It is part of what makes it unique, and fits it well contextually. The funny thing is that when CMBN demo first came out the first feedback comment I made mentioned that the colors were way too saturated, and did not look natural. For CM I use a mix of Birdstrike's Syrope terrain mixed with Aris’s terrain mods, which are less saturated and easier on the eyes for gaming in regard to reducing eye fatigue. They look more natural to me. For CMFI the color choices were much better from the start.

I consider WEGO a little bit unrealistic. Real WW2 era soldiers would never be able to implement exactly coordinated flanking attacs; they should not even know what is happening otherside of battle field. Unless you love pausing the game, real-time forces you to implement straight forward assaults which totals better overall realism. It strikes me weird when people with a chess like playing style say they do not like how real time allows player to micromanage their soldiers.

Real time is really an issue of practicality. Kind of hard to justify the need to consume whole day with with multiplayer game when real time mode allows me to finish battles in a hour. That said combat mission is equally enjoyable and more usable in WEGO mode. I think I need to find a pbem opponent since this game really is the best pbem game available (chess does not count).

I only played WeGo so far, and I like it. There are some problems with it though, most notably about artillery. If you call down a strike and it goes wrong, you might have to wait a whole minute to cancel it, and even then, there's still the built in delay. This gives a large advantage to the realtime players.

Even worse is that sometimes the TacAI will make a blunder, running a squad around the wrong edge of a hedge for example, exposed to enemy fire. Playing turn-based means you can't correct such errors before they turn into disaster. Sometimes I even had to reload a savegame because of this happening in a crucial moment. Though of course being paranoid and placing extra waypoints is a way to safeguard against such issues, it still nags me a bit.

Of course, I'm free to choose to play realtime, but WeGo must be doing something right too, because I don't feel like it :)

EDIT: Something I'm not sure anyone has brought up is that WeGo-battles take a LONG time to play out. I can literally spend a whole day on one battle, because each small maneuver takes at least a minute. For example sending out a scout just to cross the road. The crossing takes a maximum of 10 seconds, but I'll still have to wait a whole minute before I can send more soldiers across.

I often run dangerously close to mission time limits because of this, but then again I like the feeling of urgency in some way too ... it has cost me dearly doing some last minute frontal assaults... but that's when you crack open a beer and yell "It's do or die, lads!"

"I consider WEGO a little bit unrealistic."

If you can play a scenario without pausing I can understand that POV. But, as soon as you pause in RT, I would say you're MORE unrealistic than WEGO cos you can instantaneously change the orders of ALL your units every second if you want. That's about as unrealistic as it is possible to get.

At least with WEGO one has to have the discipline and planning skills to create orders that should be ok for 60 seconds. And that is more like a RL commander who have to issue orders that must work for several minutes or even hours.

In addition, for those of us who enjoy large scenarios (battalion+ KG's on each side), it's practically impossible to exercise useful control in RT.

I prefer RT, just wish we could playback the last minute of play when paused in RT or switch to user defined WEGO. User defined I mean the user can select the length of turn in 15 second increments up to a min while in game. Also being able to switch between RT and Wego mid game by reloading a save. This way the player has more chances to experience the best of both worlds.

"I consider WEGO a little bit unrealistic."

If you can play a scenario without pausing I can understand that POV. But, as soon as you pause in RT, I would say you're MORE unrealistic than WEGO cos you can instantaneously change the orders of ALL your units every second if you want. That's about as unrealistic as it is possible to get.

At least with WEGO one has to have the discipline and planning skills to create orders that should be ok for 60 seconds. And that is more like a RL commander who have to issue orders that must work for several minutes or even hours.

In addition, for those of us who enjoy large scenarios (battalion+ KG's on each side), it's practically impossible to exercise useful control in RT.

Totally agree Erwin. It really comes down to what you enjoy the most I guess and like I have mentioned WEGO is it for me.