Single player , turn based or real time?

I just got done re-re-replaying "Kings in Retirement" in Realtime. Targets and threats pop up so unexpectedly as you round that bald hilltop I can't imagine hitting 'GO' and letting fate take its course for a full minute. Some scenarios are good WeGo battles, some are good realtime.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I prefer WEGO. I only try RT with small scenarios or to do some testing. I can't be in two places simultaneously. WEGO with selectable turn legth would be ideal. 1 minute for PBEM and something like 30sec for playing against AI, future TCP/IP and TCP/IP-like PBEM games.

Only ever WEGO, for the excellent reasons already mentioned.

I can save each replay and view it later for screen capture

The uncertainty and excitement of 'not quite in control' for periods of the action. It seems more realistic to me as a commander that I can say "take your squad around the left of that hill" - and then see it go pear shaped, instead of "take your squad left... oops, better dodge right.... hang on, come back and go over there".

WEGO means I have to think very cafefully about the consequences of my orders. Your orders better be right, or your men are in a world of pain. A bit like the real thing :)

When i started with CMSF is was playing RT solely. On the one hand i was used to that type of gameplay from all the other games i had previously played and thus found WeGo to be kinda...bulky, on the other hand i couldnt stand seeing a squad beeing shot to pieces while i am unable to retreat them. Playing RT did kinda took the fun out of the larger battles though. The funny thing is, however, that since i play wego i take much fewer overall casualties, eventhough i cant pull back an endangered unit immideatly. That is probably the result of the more careful planning wego demands for.

When playing in RT mode and big map, I often had units in several groups around the map. Gameplay tended to be like turnbased, but with different turn lengths for different groups. The group I was actively micro managing had very short delays, but some far away group sometimes had to cope on their own for several minutes before I had time to give them new orders.

Sometimes this "can't change orders every 60 seconds" created situations that almost never happen in turn based mode: like some units advancing for several several minutes and surprising the AI defenders totally - because the player who sees the whole map isn't helping those AI units.

I hate WeGo, so only real-time. Though sometimes it's sad to miss some details when playing big battles.

I haven't been able to go back to WeGo since Shock Force.

You can save the real time game periodically and take a look at things, though of course each run is an alternative universe.

I guess I like that aspect of real time as well.

Funny how CMx2 was really designed as an RT game yet many still prefer WEGO. I think some of the issues WEGO has is because it was designed as an RT game in the first place. I never understood the decision to go RT when WEGO was the major selling point in my opinion of CMx1.

Though it's improved greatly for WEGO since the first release of SF I'm sure if it had been designed as a WEGO game certain issues wouldn't be around even today.

I will never understand why they originally designed the game for RT play over WEGO, but thankful WEGO is still in the game even though it still, in some respects, doesn't work aswell as CMx1.

Funny how CMx2 was really designed as an RT game yet many still prefer WEGO. I think some of the issues WEGO has is because it was designed as an RT game in the first place. I never understood the decision to go RT when WEGO was the major selling point in my opinion of CMx1.

Though it's improved greatly for WEGO since the first release of SF I'm sure if it had been designed as a WEGO game certain issues wouldn't be around even today.

I will never understand why they originally designed the game for RT play over WEGO, but thankful WEGO is still in the game even though it still, in some respects, doesn't work aswell as CMx1.

I am not sure that is an exact description of the design process nor do I understand what you mean not working as well as CMx1. I know in one thread Steve actually discussed the whole idea of RTS versus WeGo and statements about it being an RTS oriented game, but that can also fall into semantics about what is "designed" and what is just the development process. For me it wasn't all that important as long as WeGo was still there how the design process went. What do you see as things that worked better in CMx1? I honestly don't recall well enough not having fired up CMx1 in a really long time to be able to compare objectively.

AIUI, RT was perceived to be a necessary step forward, in terms of broadening the player base for the game. I think there are some small bits of the game that were designed with RT primarily in mind that don't work as well in WeGo play. Specifically, the "instant commands", which mostly means the dismount command, which is only ever tied to the current location, rather than, as most commands are, tied to whichever waypoint you have selected. To my mind, the interface was also designed with RT in mind, and a specific way of playing RT, at that, which has in the past, by default, blighted it for WeGo to an extent. There were ways around that, but the initial interface settings pretty much turned me off CMSF at launch.

It has been a while since I played RT, but one game with ?Opelblitz? or some such through hamachi always sticks in my mind. Sometimes I wish RT wasn't so complicated to set up (h2h of course), but oh well, that is a whole other animal. Getting my butt kicked by Bradley PBEM, however, was amazing. Took me a very long time to realize I was losing that one!

Looks like WeGo is most prevalent form responders?

My choice is RT in smaller scenarios across games CMFI/BN/CWSF (all Mac:D) WeGo for larger events for management and replay value. PBEM when I have the time.

It is a "good thing" is we have so many options;)