11. Panzer Division - From Montélimar to the Drôme

Winkelfried... Incredibly stunning work. In just the short time I've been working on a map of the area north of Mortain, I gained more than a considerable appreciation for the time involved... even with the new overlay! My sincere congratulations and I look forward to release.

Your patience with using the available tools must be far greater than mine, especially considering that water must be at only one level. Placing the rivers on your Marsanne map would have driven me back to drink.

On the other hand, these appear to be larger rivers and the adjacent areas may be significantly flatter than I am dealing with around Mortain. Most of these watercourses appear to be springs or wet weather branches... I'll be reviewing LLF's earlier posts about his Le Mare-Le Carillon for tips on dealing with these drainages... looks like lots of marsh and mud for me unless there just happens to be that one elevation... Nahhh! That would never happen :D

Your patience with using the available tools must be far greater than mine, especially considering that water must be at only one level. Placing the rivers on your Marsanne map would have driven me back to drink.

see my post on the editor - execept for Rhône river on the La Coucourde map i never used water tiles. it's ok to use marsh for me, since most of the small rivers, creeks and gullies in the Montélimar area can be crossed by infantry - especially in August - but are obstacles to vehicles. the elevation needs a bit of work, this is true ...

Looks like the most recent can be found here: http://www.battlefront.com/index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=314&func=fileinfo&id=1542

I have not tried it yet on CMBN 2.0 files.

That's the one, Ian. It works like a charm...except there was one German campaign (or one scenario in that campaign, can't remember) that for some reason wouldn't open.

• 5 months later...

Readyboost barely makes a difference to be honest...I used to do it when my system only had 2gigs of ram and struggled..increasing the memory made a massive difference compared to anything readyboost can do.

As for laptops Acer and Asus do decent ones or MSI. I'd stay clear of HP,Toshiba,Dell (I do hear conflicting views on dell though. Years ago they made some great products).

As I buy desktop I always get one custom built.

@Wodin

Your answer confirms what I suspected already. That is that a Laptop with a CPU of 2.00 GHz (Intel core Duo T7250) with 4.0 GO RAM is OK for most of the battles but for the ones having big units (Battalion strength) and consequently a larger map.

A Desktop will have generally a more powerful CPU than a Laptop. Mine is a HP Pavilion dv9500 from December 2007 running with Vista 32 bits. 5 years make a difference, you are right.

I have tried today to bypass that V 2.0 probable Out of Memory issue with the74 % mark crashdump happening frequently while loading a scenario file by using a 8 GO memory card as Readyboost.

I have been able to play RT,Breaking the Panzers without any problem during one hour non stop till a crashdump with 01:00 remaining time happened.

If you had to buy a lap top today which one would you buy? If you don’t see one worth it, then the answer would be to play with a desktop one. However, I don’t favour that since I am travelling quite frequently.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 7 years later...
On 1/6/2013 at 6:29 PM, snake_eye said:

@Winkelfried

I am glad to read that you have almost finished your campaign. For having tried to test it back in march 2012 (Montelimar to Valence V01. cam), I can write that the map of the first battle is fantastic. Writing that is far from the truth. I have never seen a landscape so well done. It is almost identical to what you might see being at la Courcoude.

The briefing is very well done and illustrated, making you want to get into the fight.

When I have seen at that time, the enormous work being done (scenario design and historical setting), I got really mad when I had difficulties to load the campaign (it took a long time) and then its first battle. You must have a clean install in order to have all the memory available. When I finally succeeded in doing it, I did not go that far, CMBN V1.01 crashdumped in the next 10 minutes of a real time battle. That was what I reported to you at the time.

@snake_eye, do you happen to still have those old test file .cam's?

This project has been dead for eight years... but you might still have those amazing maps!

4 hours ago, 37mm said:

@snake_eye, do you happen to still have those old test file .cam's?

This project has been dead for eight years... but you might still have those amazing maps!

I Have had them for a long time, but I am afraid that they have been erased following some brush up I have made in my HDDs. Not sure at a 100%. I will have a look in older HDDs tomorrow (time to find them. After having moved out, they are still  in some boxes unopened)  . Just to refresh my memory, the files were done with CMFI, no ? I admit that I am not so sure !

Got the answer CMBN, that will help my research !

Remaining

Edited by snake_eye