Exp vs. Rein

Units getting stronger when they have more than 1.5 experience, more or less. More or less because it depends on your readiness. Readiness depends on supply and strength. And here you may watch and hopefully get a feeling about it.

In China experience is more important than in Europe I guess. When you make a good job you conquer 4-5 China cities in the first two years. Your units will become killer machines. My Jap units pretty often gets 3 experience medals and more. Some players are defensive in China and only conquer 1 or 2 cities to avoid losses. It depends on overall strategy but they will not earn much experience. The moral hit because of the oil embargo will strike them much harder.

In Europe there isn't so much chance to rise the experience but the moral is pretty constant too.

It depends on the game situation but land units under strength 8 will not fight as good as they could even when the have experience. So I reinforce pretty quick because it is better for readiness. Readiness seems to be a seldom property, for Axis more then Allies.

A special situation appears for Jap carriers. They only fight real good (in the beginning) when they are reinforced up to 10, 11 when possible.

Pretty much summarized as Amadeus said. Supply and readiness is very important so any units you wish to be effective, make sure they are at strength 8 and in best supply available. As far as reinforcements, watch your experience medals and once you get close to 8 strength, don't trade further strengthening for experience.

It may be advantageous to allow units that have fallen to less than 50% morale and readiness to rest a few turns in maximum supply and slowly add 1 strength point per turn to diminish the experience loss.