Report for Ike: German Armor vs U.S. Armor

Though this primarily refers to later in the war, I wanted to make sure this information got captured in someplace recent. I know it's floating around in the Archives, but that doesn't do us much good if we don't know what to look for. This is a great, if highly disturbing, read.

http://www.armorama.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=SquawkBox&file=index&req=viewtopic&topic_id=59023&page=1

Regards,

John Kettler

thanks for the link. very interesting.

its especially interesting to read that all commanders clearly wrote that all tests showed that german tanks (especially the mark V) showed much better cross country results (faster, sharper turns and could climb steeper hills) than the allied M4 and even light M5. it seems like the wider tracks eliminated much of the negative effect of the 45 t heavy tank. only the E8 sherman showed similar results.

siffo998,

Most of the German tanks and SPs could swiftly pivot in place (neutral steer), but despite lots of pushing, we don't yet have it. Really hurts the StuGs.

Vanir Ausf B,

If you need entertainment along these lines, then look up on HyperWar the Ordnance volume Beachfront to Battlefield and read about what nearly happened to the Ordnance emissary during the Roer River campaign. Why the Panther is rated on par with a Sherman in cross country maneuver is beyond me, and it's even farther away if this continues to be true in mud, at least, for Shermans sans duckbill extenders.

Regards,

John Kettler