Zawiya Uprising (Libya)

Finished Battle 1 and starting Battle 2. So far am really liking this campaign. Interesting situation to be playing Ghaddafi's Loyalists vs the rebels.

It's entertaining to be playing Veteran to Elite units vs mostly Green rebels so the Victory Conditions require very few friendly casualties. And it's nice to have enough time to be careful.

Questions:

In Battle 1, even though I have the Arabic language mod that should make my Red on Red forces speak Arabic, I didn't hear any talk at all.

I didn't hear any arty VO like "Shot", Splash, FFE" etc in any language. Any ideas why that is?

Also we get a mix of RPG 29's and RPG 7V's. I think that all the ammo in trucks is 7V. However, the rocket icons look identical. So, it was confusing to figure out if the rockets would be fired regardless of the launcher type.

Can anyone clarify if (in the game) the rocket ammo is interchangeable? Or, should the AT teams stop firing when they have exhausted their supply of the correct rocket ammo.

If you enjoy Red vs Red you will really enjoy "Dinas". It is a big campaign. But, it's a good example of what feels like superior scenario/campaign design that was more evident in CMSF.

Be always conscious that you have to take minimal losses to successfully progress. The scenarios are mostly large and long and you do not want to end up 6-8 scenarios into the campaign and unable to continue (you may even get kicked out) so you have to restart (like er... "some of us" had to). It was a PITA to replay so many complex scenarios just to make headway again. :(

BTW: I posed questions on the Tactics Forum about actual tactics combining the elite Guards, the Mercenaries and the Green Militia we get in Zawiya. Hope someone can help with RL suggestions. I don't want to just use the Militia and Mercs are cannon-fodder simply to save my core Guards troops.

Man... I am really surprised that it appears that only Charles and I have played this campaign.

I'm halfway thru mission #2 and it's very good. The mix on units is very interesting and different from any other CMSF scenario or campaign I have ever played.

And I thought there would be at least a few people who would have the answers to some tactics questions. :(

AFAIK it's only available as a campaign.

What I like about playing vs the AI is attempting minimal casualties. I am halfway thru mission three, and so far I have only lost about 3 guys from my core forces. (More from the non-core, but I guess they are set up to be more like cannon fodder and I am a bit more careless with them.) Am also enjoying the large maps so flanking maneuvers can be made.

Nonetheless I have made an effort to lead with the Crack core recon guys so they get the most dangerous assignments (along with the Mercenaries) while using the non-core militia and mech forces as fire support and to hold/defend Victory locations.

Was hoping to get some RL tactics hints re how Syria/Libya CO's would handle this sort of strange force mixture, and it's disapponting that no one seems to know.

The BMP 3's and Shilka's rock! And next mission #4 offers the first use of a TURMS T72. :)

Hey guys,

had to work through the last weeks and couldn´t spend my time for CM. First of all, I am very glad to hear, that you have fun with this campaign.

@ Schmoly war: I will try to send you the individual battles until the next week (but there are, of course, no briefings for the rebel´s side)

@ Erwin: As a witness of many actions during the Libyan Conflict, I can tell you, that the only word to describe the tactics, is: CHAOS

You can´t compare these military actions with for example American or British military operations. Indeed, it was only the colour of flags or clothes, who could make it possible to identify one´s affiliation. Even regular troops of the government often wore ridiculous combinations of uniforms and weapons. In many cases you could not distinguish soldiers of the Libyan Armed Forces from members of paramilitary forces.

Regards

Frank

AFAIK it's only available as a campaign.

What I like about playing vs the AI is attempting minimal casualties. I am halfway thru mission three, and so far I have only lost about 3 guys from my core forces. (More from the non-core, but I guess they are set up to be more like cannon fodder and I am a bit more careless with them.) Am also enjoying the large maps so flanking maneuvers can be made.

Nonetheless I have made an effort to lead with the Crack core recon guys so they get the most dangerous assignments (along with the Mercenaries) while using the non-core militia and mech forces as fire support and to hold/defend Victory locations.

Was hoping to get some RL tactics hints re how Syria/Libya CO's would handle this sort of strange force mixture, and it's disapponting that no one seems to know.

The BMP 3's and Shilka's rock! And next mission #4 offers the first use of a TURMS T72. :)

I actually do it the other way, I lead with the militia and overwatch with the crack fellas.

Thats how I would envision it would be like in real life. "No worries my committed fellow countrymen, show your bravery and you might be one of us one day, we got your back, Allah wills it!"

Hey guys,

had to work through the last weeks and couldn´t spend my time for CM. First of all, I am very glad to hear, that you have fun with this campaign.

@ Schmoly war: I will try to send you the individual battles until the next week (but there are, of course, no briefings for the rebel´s side)

@ Erwin: As a witness of many actions during the Libyan Conflict, I can tell you, that the only word to describe the tactics, is: CHAOS

You can´t compare these military actions with for example American or British military operations. Indeed, it was only the colour of flags or clothes, who could make it possible to identify one´s affiliation. Even regular troops of the government often wore ridiculous combinations of uniforms and weapons. In many cases you could not distinguish soldiers of the Libyan Armed Forces from members of paramilitary forces.

Regards

Frank

Looking forward to that X.

Yeah chaos is a legit tactic! Push the ignorant naive youth ahead of you with AKs and overwatch with more experienced men. That probably how deep it went.

• 1 year later...

No idea Erwin. But I think, these videos are some of the best, I have ever seen for CM. Too sad, that this guy obviously didn´t make more - last release was June 2013 :(

May be, he´s a member of the battlefront-forum, too?

Regards

Frank

• 3 weeks later...

Erwin, you will need the following free tools:

Free Youtube to mp3 Converter (needs to be installed):

http://www.chip.de/downloads/Free-YouTube-to-MP3-Converter_26495270.html

I gave you the link to the german chip.de site because it can be trusted as download provider - chip.de is a large computer magazine.

The name of the youtube to mp3 converter is self-explanatory.

Alternatively you can use this online tool wich also has an optional english interface:

https://www.youtube-mp3.org/

After you downloaded the music, you will have to convert it to a format that CM can use. I think the correct format is .wav, but double check what format the original files have before converting. You can convert the .mp3 you downloaded with the other tools to a CM compatible format using this free online tool:

http://audio.online-convert.com/convert-to-wav

And that is it. Just rename the resulting .wav file to the name of the original CM sound file you want to replace and put in your Z folder.

Oh, and by the way: the music in the video is the national anthem of Gaddafis Libya.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allahu_Akbar_%28anthem%29