Review & Comparison of WWI Breakthrough with Commander: The Great War

First review of Strategic Command WWI Breakthrough! and a comparison with Commander: The Great War

"Strategic Command wins on most fronts... [it] has much greater depth [and]... is much more satisfying".

Read more here:

http://www.daveenjoys.com/2012/11/19/game-comparison-review-commander-the-great-war-and-strategic-command-world-war-i/

--

• 2 weeks later...

This is the best grand operational ww1 game I have played so far about AI and events. I haven't played C.Great War yet (But familiar with Slitherine popular latest titles)but I think tactical and strategical approach is the best in this game. It would be best to spread the word so dedicated players can be found. :) This game deserves it.

• 3 weeks later...

I have both. I first played some of Commander Great War, and then tried Strategic Command, the Great War. Commander will be removed from my hard drive, but I cannot stop playing Strategic Command, the Great War, which recreates the feel and history of the conflict, with an AI that I find formidable. Great fun, but how do you stop?

Totally agree re: the addictive nature of the game. I purchased the game on Dec. 1 and have played approx. 3-4 hours daily since.

I have completed four "Call to Arms" campaigns (two each for the Central Powers and the Entente) and am now trying out the Ludendorff Offensive as Germany while following the current AAR.

I have played both Guns of August and World War II Gold: and though those games are very good, this game's UI and AI hit a sweet spot for me.

• 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

This is a great comparison.

So true!

I agree to this comparison totally, totally!

I've purchased Commander: The Great War.

Crisp graphics, nice music, nice sound.

The game is fun.

I played it for many hours...

At then?

I played Strategic Command: World War I again - for many weeks, for countless hours! :)

• 4 months later...

SCWW1 is a great game, but Guns of August (Matrix) was even better. Too bad that some of the outstanding issues with Guns of August were never fixed. IMO the game would merit a second release.

The Commander series are bland and generic - no possible competition from that end

• 4 months later...

Looks like I misplaced one (one out of 6) of my SC CD's.

SC is out...I guess I will have to compare the two games.

Funny how one CD will blow the entire game.

OOPS, wrong game! I can still play SC WWI hoorah!!!

To hell with that other game (To End All Wars).

• 8 months later...

Won't hide my being a dedicated fan of CTGW, however recently bought the SCWWI bundle and have been very satisfied with it, especially with Breakthrough. Maybe it's me (a newbee), that this game's interface is harder to manage than CTGW's. One of the reasons I moved over to this game was the lack of Technical Support at CTGW, plus the Daddy of the game skipped town without telling all the buyers the game's programing future is "Dead". My only hope here is: That the Dev's here keep the faith and work with the membership in supporting the game. Have not read all of the posts yet here, keeping an eye out for "Hot fixes", future "patches", "expansions" or "General Fixes" that maybe incorporated into the game presently or later on.

operating imagine meeting you here on the Battlefront forum,have to say still trying to motivate myself to complete CTGW Mod I have been working on. :)

Man, What an ugly Avatar! lol Yes, It was time to move on and try something new to me for the time period of WW I, bought TEAW some time ago, but could not get my head into that game engine, didn't really try that hard, maybe later. When I realized that CTGW had no future except for your upcoming MOD, I was crushed and angry, not just for myself, but for all the members who had tech questions of every nature that would go unanswered and not know the reason why they were being left in the lurch, I found that "very troubling". I just pray it does not happen here also.......

Well I have been away from this game for a couple of years,and having worked on Commander The Great War during that absence,I can say here and now that Strategic Command WW1 Breakthrough is superior in everyway fact.

Edited by kirk23