Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Custom hotkeys not working

Sorry if this has been asked before, I searched the forum and found some similar problems but nothing exactly the same. I just bought the game and patched it incrementally to 1.32 selecting only the base game since I don't have any modules. I edited the hotkeys to my usual layout, but they are not showing up in game, the hotkey assignments are blank. I can't figure out what's wrong... I'm pretty sure the patches installed correctly, everything else works fine. Here's a copy-paste of the contents of my hotkeys.txt if that's helpful:

Camera Keys

<E>I

<F>Z

<E>J

<F>Q

<E>L

<E>K

<E>,

<F>A

<E>.

<E>'

<E>;

<E>/

<E>X

<G>Y

<F>W

<E>Z

<E>`

Misc Keys

<E>-

<E>=

<G>+

<E>{

<E>}

<E>~

Command Keys Default

<E>

<E>

<E>

<E>

<E>

<E>

<E>

<F>

<E>

<F>

<E>

<F>

Command Keys Direct

<E>F // move fast

<E>Q // move quick

<E>N // move normal

<E>S // move slow

<E>C // move hunt

<E>A // move assault

<E>R // move reverse

<E>B // move blast

<E>M // move mark mines

<E>T // target

<E>Y // target light

<E>V // target arc

<E> // NOT USED

<E>O // face

<E>U // target smoke

<E>D // deploy

<E>W // pause

<E>H // hide

<E>[ // dismount

<E>\ // bail out

<E>] // vehicle open up

<E>P // pop smoke

<E>G // acquire

<E> // divide teams

<E> // assault team

<E> // antitank team

Thanks in advance for any response.

Sorry, I was going to reply earlier. I'm not all too familiar with the hotkeys within CMSF. The ones I was looking at with a 1.32 install didn't have the 'Command Keys Default' section, except in the 'hotkeys_old.txt' file, which suggested that they didn't belong. But I'm not sure if my install had any modifications on the hotkeys or not. It's good you found a solution.

One other thing to to wary of is if you are using Windows Vista or newer Windows versions, then any time you make a modification of a file that is installed within the '\Program Files' section, it will likely get copied (silently) to the hidden 'VirtualStore' directory (a security feature of Windows). So all of your changes will only appear on the copy of the file that is in the VirtualStore directory. If there are two copies of the file, then the one that is in the '\Program Files' directory MAY take precedence (I'm not sure on that). If you want to edit a file and have it remain in the '\Program Files' directory, then you may need to launch your text editor by right-clicking and selecting "Run as administrator" from the popup menu. This should hopefully provide the necessary permissions to modify the file and have the change stick to the copy that is actually in the '\Program Files directory.

Thanks for the reply Schrullenhaft, even though the problem is solved I appreciate it nonetheless.

Regarding potential VirtualStore issues, I install all my games to C:/Games/ for just that reason. I can only guess something must've gotten screwed up the first time I installed - the game even started assigning wacky hotkeys on its own seemingly at random, like backspace and esc for zoom in/out. It was very odd.