Russians Jump in - How to prevent?

It happens time and again both in SC Global conflict and in the WWII version of this game- I finish off France, start building up either to invade the UK or to build forces for an attack on Russia the following Summer. Then, Stalin jumps in and declares war on me. Upsets all my plans..

I know one error I make is positioning German units too close to the border. What is a safe distance to position them for a buildup that doesnt trigger this? Any settings I should use?

Hi Panzer

There is a Manuals folder that comes with the game, and in that you'll find a guide to 1939 Storm over Europe which includes information on how to avoid upsetting Stalin too soon.

Here is the info from it:

Axis units required on the Soviet Frontier

After conquering Poland, the Axis will need to maintain garrisons in both Konigsberg and Warsaw to discourage Stalin from strengthening his relations with the Allies.

In addition to their units in Warsaw and Konigsberg, from January 1941 the Axis will need to deploy two more units in the east.

· If Germany honored the Molotov-Ribbentrop Pact, then these will need to be stationed in the vicinity of Tilsit and Siedlice.

· If Germany didn’t honor the Molotov-Ribbentrop Pact then these will need to be stationed in the vicinity of Tilsit and Wilno.

In addition to the above, if Germany annexes Lithuania then another unit will have to be stationed at Siauliai.

Failure to do so will lead to the USSR increasing its leaning towards the Allies.

Having too many units in the east will also lead to increased Soviet mobilization.

· If Germany honored the Molotov-Ribbentrop Pact then having six or more units near Tilsit or eight or more near Siedlice will cause the USSR to swing towards the Allies.

· If Germany didn’t honor the Molotov-Ribbentrop Pact then having six or more units near Tilsit or eight or more near Wilno will cause the USSR to swing towards the Allies.

· If Germany annexes Lithuania then having six or more near Siauliai would also trigger USSR mobilization.

In or adjacent to the towns mentioned should do.