Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

My Thompson SBR project.

Thought I would share this for my fellow WWII weapon enthusiasts.

I've had my Auto-Ordnance M1 Thompson .45acp since the late 90s. I had always liked them and wanted one since I was a kid and then when I got older I finally acquired one, semi-auto of course since the real full autos are much harder to get both legally and monetarily. It's been one of my prize possessions, despite it's incorrect profile, but it ALWAYS looked wrong to me with the goofy 16" barrel instead of the WWII style 10.5". It just really needed a face lift, however, it's much easier said than done with the legal paperwork of such a project then the actual "doing" of it.

Here's a "Before" pic...

thompson1.jpg

I applied for the ATF tax stamp back in March (legally allows me to shorten the barrel) and it took a long six months to finally get it. Once I had that in my hands I had to wait to find a weekend to get down to my buddy's house as he is a completely competant gunsmith in his own right and he wanted to help me do the work, but finding the right weekend with real life and all just took a bit. Well we got to working on it this weekend and this is the final product of our labor. I completely LOVE it now. It looks amazing and finally looks the way it's supposed to. It's really like having a whole new gun. I hope you all like it. There is just something iconic and amazing about the old Tommy gun.

img282s.jpg

img283m.jpg

img284ql.jpg

as cool as the drums are Id stick with the.. stick.. ;)

Got the classic middle of normandy look to it

Ha! Yeah, sorry about turns but as you can see I WAS busy this weekend! :D

In response to your above post as well as the other mentioning drums, the military M1 version wasn't able to take drum magazines. The only thing that works with mine is stick mags. If I wanted to be really authentic I'd only use 20 round sticks but all I have are 30 rounders.

The drums are kinda cool but ammo is expensive enough for .45acp. I even reload my own to bring the cost down a bit but they are still expensive. Believe me, you can really get to spitting them out fast with this little honey. :) It's hard to resist pulling them as quick as you can.

Now, if we really wanted to talk about spitting out rounds fast from drum magazines, that's when I'd break out this little bit of kit in my collection. :eek:

Yugo M72 RPK with 75 round drum mags. Oh yeah. Granted it's not WWII but goes good with a hint of CMA. Hehehe...

010.jpg