New file at the Repository: Dusty roads 7th AD (2012-10-27)

Us 7th army race towards the Seine river.August 1944Us cavalry attack german positions near a small town.Originally intended to only release the map. But I decided to try and come up with a challenging scenario. If you don't like it, you always got a nice map.The scenario and map are fictional. But slightly based on after action reports from 7th ad. Map could depict area between La Loupe and Epernon, France.map size 1072* 976Force size: less than a companyPlay as US vs AI onlyOnly one AI plan for the enemy. If people are interested I can make more.Feedback highly appreciated, this is my first attempt. Enjoy, PvtW

More...

Okay. First game played as USA found my head handed back to me on a serving platter! After 30 minutes of elapsed time, the 17th Luftwaffe Field Division has severely mauled and manhandled the 87th Cavalry Mechanized Reconnaissance forces. The Germans are well and cleverly positioned. Must ponder anew and try again. Am not using my artillery effectively at all. Will keep you posted.

Map is gorgeous. Am finding the US force mix unusual and interesting. Thanks for the scenario!

Okay. First game played as USA found my head handed back to me on a serving platter! After 30 minutes of elapsed time, the 17th Luftwaffe Field Division has severely mauled and manhandled the 87th Cavalry Mechanized Reconnaissance forces. The Germans are well and cleverly positioned. Must ponder anew and try again. Am not using my artillery effectively at all. Will keep you posted.

Map is gorgeous. Am finding the US force mix unusual and interesting. Thanks for the scenario!

Hey, thank you for your feedback and comment.

It is a tough scenario. Mayby to hard. As I find it tough myself to meet the objectives. I should work on the briefing, revealing more about the location of the enemy AT guns. And I am thinking on removing some of the minefields.

I am also thinking on giving the Us forces some reinforcements. Maybe more infantry. Or the engineer platoon mounted in halftracks, to make them more mobile.

But reading the 7th armoured divisions After action reports, and those of the 87th cavalry reconnaissance squadron. It seems that much of the resistance was overcome without any, or with little infantry support. Sometimes using the crews of the vehicles as infantry. Amazing how they swept through the area. Keeping constant pressure on the german army.

Maybe just make it a little longer so the Americans have more time to scout out the German positions.

That could work. I will give it a try. And maybe give some german units lower motivation? I also have the idea to focus on one terrain objective, rather than 2. Or no terrain objective at all? So that destroying the AT guns become more important as a victory condition.

Hey, thank you for your feedback and comment.

It is a tough scenario. Maybe too hard. As I find it tough myself to meet the objectives. I should work on the briefing, revealing more about the location of the enemy AT guns. And I am thinking on removing some of the minefields.

I am also thinking on giving the Us forces some reinforcements. Maybe more infantry. Or the engineer platoon mounted in halftracks, to make them more mobile.

But reading the 7th armoured divisions After action reports, and those of the 87th cavalry reconnaissance squadron. It seems that much of the resistance was overcome without any, or with little infantry support. Sometimes using the crews of the vehicles as infantry. Amazing how they swept through the area. Keeping constant pressure on the german army.

@PvtW,

I think its too soon to tweak the forces involved. However, I concur and strongly endorse a more thorough briefing. I'm a big proponent of the 5 Paragraph Op Order format and a player should know as much about the pending situation as possible.

As gamers, we don't have the situational awareness that historical participants did. It's imperative for a gamer to have reasonable expectations of what to face and a clear understanding how to approach the battle. To me, what makes a scenario successful is how well it builds and fulfills player expectations. In CMBfN, those start with the briefing.

In my first pass through this scenario, I was too cavalry-like with artillery in that I held it back to save for when I was in actual contact. I also spread my forces out too far. I didn't expect how well prepared the German defensive positions might be.

Second time through, I began with 105mm fires already called on Objective 1 (5 minute delay) and a Thunderbolt pass on the Church tower (3 minute delay). I'm also keeping my engineers closer to the other vehicles for mine clearing operations. My approach this time, is more towards better prepared offensive planning and maneuver than just movement to contact.

So for now, I'd recommend focus on a better briefing. Half-tracks for the engineers are not a bad idea but its too soon to tell. One more real FO (forward observer) might make sense too but again, its too early for me to say.

I won't have any more feedback for you until later next weekend. Thanks for designing this. Good luck and good gaming!

@PvtW,

I've made two more attempts with this scenario as the USA player and have had no success. I really struggled with trying to accomplish the USA mission with the forces available. I don't think the US can overcome the 1:1 force ratio nor is there enough time to accomplish the kind of recon necessary before assaulting the objective. I was very frustrated with the minefields. One part of that is because I don't know how to search for and clear them before I blow something up running into them; chalk that up to newbie player shortcomings. The other part is that I don't think I have enough time to accomplish my objectives and slow down for mine clearing tasks.

I'd like to see more info in the briefing, plus additional FO's, the engineers mounted in half tracks, and an additional platoon or so of regular armored infantry. For me, the three mortar jeeps could be better represented as off-map artillery but that's because I don't think this scenario supports light mortar direct fire the way I played it.

That stone wall running the entire length of the road from the US entry point to Objective 1 made no sense to me. It really constrains and channels the US player while preventing support for any kind of recon on the left flank of the US advance.

The map is exellent but I think the mission is too ambitious with the forces used. So, I didn't have as much fun as I would have liked. The scenario as is, is not a scenario I could recommend for others to play.

Its clear that you put a lot of work into this but I don't think its ready for prime time yet. This scenario has real potential. Keep tweaking play balance and don't give up further development. Stay at it! Thank you and good luck.

@PvtW,

I've made two more attempts with this scenario as the USA player and have had no success. I really struggled with trying to accomplish the USA mission with the forces available. I don't think the US can overcome the 1:1 force ratio nor is there enough time to accomplish the kind of recon necessary before assaulting the objective. I was very frustrated with the minefields. One part of that is because I don't know how to search for and clear them before I blow something up running into them; chalk that up to newbie player shortcomings. The other part is that I don't think I have enough time to accomplish my objectives and slow down for mine clearing tasks.

I'd like to see more info in the briefing, plus additional FO's, the engineers mounted in half tracks, and an additional platoon or so of regular armored infantry. For me, the three mortar jeeps could be better represented as off-map artillery but that's because I don't think this scenario supports light mortar direct fire the way I played it.

That stone wall running the entire length of the road from the US entry point to Objective 1 made no sense to me. It really constrains and channels the US player while preventing support for any kind of recon on the left flank of the US advance.

The map is exellent but I think the mission is too ambitious with the forces used. So, I didn't have as much fun as I would have liked. The scenario as is, is not a scenario I could recommend for others to play.

Its clear that you put a lot of work into this but I don't think its ready for prime time yet. This scenario has real potential. Keep tweaking play balance and don't give up further development. Stay at it! Thank you and good luck.

I have tweaked the scenario and the briefing.

- more info in the briefing about location of at guns and minefields. PLan of attack . And added some pictures for atmosphere.

- Changed the terrain objectives so that they make more sense.

- Additional off map 81mm mortars + spotter

- Engineers now mounted in halftracks

- Different AI plans for the germans

- More time to accomplish the mission

- Removed the wall:)

Now I just need to playtest it some more.

Thank you for your comment

Just fired it up to see what a first timer would do. My hats off to you, I am still working up the nerve to put something together. I've started, but not yet into AI plans.

So I am 20 minutes in and so far I've managed to take out a very pesky and well hidden sniper. Nicely done, I figured out where he probably was, but didn't get confirmation until I blew a hole in the wall and charged in. In the meantime I have eliminated another sniper team and a tank hunter team. Total cost to me so far is 4 men and a damaged Stuart (a grenade tossed by the second sniper), I fully expect I am not going to make the objectives as they are a long way away, but I've enjoyed the scenario a lot.

I am one of those odd balls who could care less about victory points and winning or losing. What I like are scenarios with atmosphere and these first 20 minutes have been great hunting down the sniper. Gives me some ideas for another scenario assuming I ever get the first out the door. You'll likely get feedback from a lot of different directions and it is all good, but mine so far- I like your defenses. It is really hard to find these guys.

It's amazing what you can convince yourself of just before the wheels fall off your attack and you go flying into the ditch :D

So after a good look I figured Obj 1 was within my reach. Obj 2 would depend on how much time I had left. First off one squad pulls a nice fire and maneuver to eliminate a PzShk team w/o loss. In retrospect it was almost bait. I am feeling fairly good right now, a 2:1 exchange so far in casualties and I now have eyes on the first buildings in town. I then order a tank forward to see if I can draw some fire from the buildings as I am not expecting an AT gun to be sited on this area.. then I hear a blast and I am figuring damn there goes that tank. Turns out it was a mine. Tank is immobilized but can still help root out defenders. The infantry starts moving up and the spotting rounds start falling. From the way they were dropping I figured my right flank was gonna get hit so I pull back...wrong, they hit my left. I was real lucky I didn't lose my FO and platoon commander. As it was I lost 3 men.

I take one team and try to creep them into on over watch position and they take small arms fire from a force they could not spot near obj 1. I pull up a tank to give them covering fire...and the small arms fire turns out to have come from an AT gun crew. Scratch tank. Meanwhile another tank that has maneuvered around the one that hit the mine is moving foward to try and assist by flanking the AT gun and bam another hidden gun takes out that tank....

The force commander radioed back, not today. This town is more heavily defended than expected.

I'll try this again another time. It's hard, but perhaps it was more my time management and my attack plan. It'll take a couple run throughs to determine that, but it doesn't really matter. It was time well spent, even in defeat it was very enjoyable. I like the map a lot and the defenses were good. Well sited but not overwhelming..until I hit the wall but we'll see. Maybe next time I'll come up with a better plan.

Nice work PvtW

It's amazing what you can convince yourself of just before the wheels fall off your attack and you go flying into the ditch :D

So after a good look I figured Obj 1 was within my reach. Obj 2 would depend on how much time I had left. First off one squad pulls a nice fire and maneuver to eliminate a PzShk team w/o loss. In retrospect it was almost bait. I am feeling fairly good right now, a 2:1 exchange so far in casualties and I now have eyes on the first buildings in town. I then order a tank forward to see if I can draw some fire from the buildings as I am not expecting an AT gun to be sited on this area.. then I hear a blast and I am figuring damn there goes that tank. Turns out it was a mine. Tank is immobilized but can still help root out defenders. The infantry starts moving up and the spotting rounds start falling. From the way they were dropping I figured my right flank was gonna get hit so I pull back...wrong, they hit my left. I was real lucky I didn't lose my FO and platoon commander. As it was I lost 3 men.

I take one team and try to creep them into on over watch position and they take small arms fire from a force they could not spot near obj 1. I pull up a tank to give them covering fire...and the small arms fire turns out to have come from an AT gun crew. Scratch tank. Meanwhile another tank that has maneuvered around the one that hit the mine is moving foward to try and assist by flanking the AT gun and bam another hidden gun takes out that tank....

The force commander radioed back, not today. This town is more heavily defended than expected.

I'll try this again another time. It's hard, but perhaps it was more my time management and my attack plan. It'll take a couple run throughs to determine that, but it doesn't really matter. It was time well spent, even in defeat it was very enjoyable. I like the map a lot and the defenses were good. Well sited but not overwhelming..until I hit the wall but we'll see. Maybe next time I'll come up with a better plan.

Nice work PvtW

Thank you sburke, nice to hear that you enjoyed the scenario. Maybe next week I'll upload my improved version of the scenario. It need some more playtesting, but with 4 AI plans, that is quite time consuming. I extended the time limit to 2 hours. More than enough time to complete the mission. I found that the enemy surrenders way before the time limit. So: should I leave it that way? Or reduce the time limit? That's the question:confused:

I uploaded the new file here: http://cmmods.greenasjade.net/mods/4790/details

File name is: Dusty roads2_0

" To mjkerner " The scenario is indeed intended as Allied vs. AI.

I have no idea how H2H will work out? If you can find someone who wants to give it a try, it might be interesting? Though the germans side doesn't have a briefing. I have never played H2H before. So I have no experience with that. But I think it's really hard as attacker.

My advice for this scenario: Take your time, there is plenty. At guns are the biggest threat. Locating and destroying them should have priority. Depending on the Ai plan. They could be anywhere across the map. And don't save on air support and artillery. Use them. From the start of the mission. Just make sure you have support left once you have located the At guns. Enjoy :-)

I admire the map design. Very well done. I managed a victory first time but at great cost. I was cautious from the start but ended the game with only 2 tanks left and a few ragged ad-hoc squads of infantry.

WARNING SPOILER!!!

In the first version of your map I caught the Stug in a crossfire between my last 2 remaining tanks. They must have fired at least 3 shells each into his side armour until eventually the crew bailed out and were mercilessly mowed down.

Have you desingned any other maps? If so can you link to them.

I admire the map design. Very well done. I managed a victory first time but at great cost. I was cautious from the start but ended the game with only 2 tanks left and a few ragged ad-hoc squads of infantry.

WARNING SPOILER!!!

In the first version of your map I caught the Stug in a crossfire between my last 2 remaining tanks. They must have fired at least 3 shells each into his side armour until eventually the crew bailed out and were mercilessly mowed down.

Have you desingned any other maps? If so can you link to them.

I have a new map ready. Now working on a scenario for it. Fj against 7th Ad again. This time a more infantry based assault, towards a railroad bridge ( fictional)