How to install the 1.01 patch and still have the 1.0 with it

Has anyone patched the 1.0-->1.01 so that you're using both versions?

In BN it could be done just by copying the original game folder to another location and whn the patch was installed to one location the other one remained as an old version.

But how it is with FI? As there's the FI folder in the Personal Folder? is it possible to have both versions running with tha same personal folder?

is it possible to have both versions running with tha same personal folder?

Just guessing (I'm on a Mac and it sounds like you are on a PC), but I would think not unless you put one or the other in an additional folder named something else. And you would have to have a clickable icon for each on your desktop or somewhere convenient. Like I say, just guessing...

Michael

In BN it could be done just by copying the original game folder to another location and whn the patch was installed to one location the other one remained as an old version.

But how it is with FI? As there's the FI folder in the Personal Folder? is it possible to have both versions running with tha same personal folder?

I haven't tested it extensively but it seems to work (scenarios load at the very least). Just have to be careful not to mix up save games/PBEM turns of the different versions.

Why in the world would you want to do this? 1.01 is indisputably an improvement....

Yes, I know it's an improvement, but the patching is quite problematic when I play only pbem games... Because not all my opponents patch the game simultaneously and I've tended to play the game to the end with the version it was started. With BN it was easy to have different versions but dunno how it is with FI...

Just guessing (I'm on a Mac and it sounds like you are on a PC), but I would think not unless you put one or the other in an additional folder named something else. And you would have to have a clickable icon for each on your desktop or somewhere convenient. Like I say, just guessing...

Michael

Yep, different folders and different icons were a standard issue with BN but now as the folder structure (new one in the documents) has been changed, I'm not willing to patch before I know if I can still continue using the 1.0

I have both versions. The difference with CM version 2 compared to what we have with CMBN in version 1 is you actually end up with two possible folders for mods. The standard z folder and a mods folder. You'd have to ask BF to explain why the change, I just know it is there. The mods folder is generic to any instance of CMFI you have. The z folder is specific to an instance. So you can have a 1.0 and 1.1 with some mods the same and some different depending on where you install them. While testing I installed all mods I wanted for playing in the z folder of my GA version of CMFI and left the one under my documents (the user/mods folder) alone.

Other than that they run separately and can be patched separately.

I don't know whether it will be permanent, but it is kind of cool if you run multiple installs of CM like I do. I have for example a generic CMBN install and a separate one for LLF's Makin scenario as it is heavily modded and I don't want to have to move those back and forth everytime I want to take a look. I also have one for my ongoing campaign with Broadsword as I want to mod that one a lot for unit formations and don't really want to have to change it when I play another PBEM opponent. If you have the drive space, it makes the whole mod file moving issue easy. With Version 2 I now have the option of having mods I want in all instances in one place so I don't have to have multiple copies of them - things like sound mods, icon mods, tracers, vehicle fires can go in the generic while unit info can go in the specific.

Just specify during patch load which instance you want upgraded. if you have multiple and want them all upgraded you will have to run the patch for each separately - the clue is where the brz files are located. ;)