Freezes

It froze about a minute or two into the game. I've noticed this on other games and the culprit is usually a conflict with my 3dfx voodoo 3 2000 card running in the wrong mode or something. Other specs are k62-400, 128 soundblaster pci, win98, dx6.1. I'm reluctant to go to dx7, heard it's not quite ready. Also, where do I get this soundsprocket you mentioned in an earlier post. And is there a way to slow the zoom, it goes really fast. In the short time I used it, looks really great.

Guest Big Time Software

You don't need SoundSprocket. That's only for Macintosh users. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

We've had some reports about voodoo cards fooling DirectX (and therefore Combat Mission) into thinking they can run at certain monitor refresh rates when really they can't. I don't know if this is your problem but we're looking into it.

Charles

Guest Big Time Software

Doug,

CM is able to run at any resolution 640x480 or larger. But 3D cards and monitors all have their limits. CM attempts to determine, through DirectX, what 'best' resolution your computer can handle and then uses that. But we're discovering that DirectX (in conjunction with the 3D card drivers) is not entirely reliable in what it reports back as "workable" resolution settings. So we'll have to work around this. For now, is 800x600 working for you?

Charles

Guest Scott Clinton

I had my keyboard freeze last night in about turn 8 after the replay.

Not a single hotkey would work.

Then after about 30 seconds of trying I noticed that I could get some of the functions to work...but they were not using the correct hotkeys!

Then after about 30 seconds of trying to find where the save game feature was 'hiding' the keyboard started working again! Played two more turns and all was well. Don't ask me what happened! wink.gif

------------------

The Grumbling Grognard

Guys, I run CM at 1124 x 864 on my 17 inch monitor. SWEET !!!

I think it only uses 16 bit colour at that resolution though but I prefer it to 1024 x 768 at 32 bit colour cause I get a slightly nicer panoramic view.

Listen, I had a broken 3D card from December last year until I got CM in June . I had NEVER noticed it was broken since I'm a wargamer and I VERY rarely played anything which was 3D or needed 3D acceleration.

CM is the game that's gonna put 3D cards into wargamer's computers. I'm convinced of it.

------------------

Fionn Kelly

Manager of Historical Research,

The Gamers Net - Gaming for Gamers

Rich -

Go into your BIOS (restart the machine, press DEL or F1 - every machine is different). This will get you into your BIOS. Now, keep in mind, every machine has the potential to have a different BIOS, also, so you may have to hunt around a bit for it. I have an ABIT BH6 motherboard, and under the CHIPSET FEATURES SETUP, there is the ASSIGN IRQ TO VGA? item, which has to be clicked YES for a Voodoo 3 card of any sort. It might be in a different place, and say something different, but you should be able to figure it out. Good luck smile.gif

One more thing - BE CAREFUL messing around in your BIOS. If you are not comfortable munging around in there, DONT, you can really mess things up. Have someone who knows what they are doing look at it, then. Rather be safe, than sorry smile.gif

[This message has been edited by slazzari (edited 10-29-99).]

Guest Scott Clinton

Yep, you are prob. right.

I seem to recal something on the download site or doc that said they are working on a keyboard issue. This is most likly it.

------------------

The Grumbling Grognard

I have booted the demo twice. The first time it froze after about 2 to 3 seconds. Had to reboot. The second time I was able to scroll about 10 seconds before it froze. Thats all I've had time to do. My system is an AMD 366, 64mb ram, ATI Rage Pro w/8 mb, probably DirectX 6.1.

Regan,

Definitely update Directx and go to http://www.hardwired.thegamers.net and go into the TechMagic site .. In that site you can just click on the name of the company supplying ur video and soundcards and you can quickly get into their websites and download their drivers.

A general driver update is in order IMO

------------------

Fionn Kelly

Manager of Historical Research,

The Gamers Net - Gaming for Gamers