Cool movie

Thanks! That is a really good-looking and very well edited sequence. I think they shot a lot of it with quite a bit of "zoom" magnification to get that close-up effect.

Any chance we can find out what graphics card settings they use? My in-game images don't quite that nice and I hope it's just that I have not got optimal nVidia settings.

Evidently, this trailer took its cues regarding abrupt swings of combat fortune from our very own DAR crowd! The battle rages back and forth, with momentary triumph being just that. Momentary. I feel sorry for those Italians in their M1917s. Unless they catch infantry on the hop, they're pretty much dead meat, seeing as how a strong sneeze will kill them!

I'd remiss if I failed to note that the Fire on the Move bug which has plagued me since the CMBN Demo appears to be very much alive. Or is it a new Top Secret mod which fitted Stuarts with multiaxis gyrostabilization? Know how I stabilize my gyros? I make sure the plate's firmly on the table, lest my gyros tumble, leaving me hungry! Besides, the tzatziki makes a mess.

Regards,

John Kettler

TheBlackHand,

If that kind of exposure bothers you, then what about this?

http://pictures.replayphotos.com/images/WEID/smd/weider-history-store-world-war-ii-battle-of-bulge-weid-wwii-x-00165smd.jpg

I mistakenly thought this pic was taken after the Germans were hammered and in retreat. Wrong!

Standing on a snow-covered battlefield, these American infantrymen of the 4th Armored Division fire at German troops, in an advance to relieve pressure on surrounded U.S. airborne units, near Bastogne, Belgium, on December 27, 1944. (AP Photo)

Regards,

John Kettler

TheBlackHand,

If that kind of exposure bothers you, then what about this?

http://pictures.replayphotos.com/images/WEID/smd/weider-history-store-world-war-ii-battle-of-bulge-weid-wwii-x-00165smd.jpg

I mistakenly thought this pic was taken after the Germans were hammered and in retreat. Wrong!

Standing on a snow-covered battlefield, these American infantrymen of the 4th Armored Division fire at German troops, in an advance to relieve pressure on surrounded U.S. airborne units, near Bastogne, Belgium, on December 27, 1944. (AP Photo)

To be fair, you can't really tell how exposed they are without seeing the enemy position and intervening terrain. If they are standing like that, presumably (I hope) it is because they can't see the enemy from a prone or kneeling position. Which in turn implies (to a first approximation) that only the upper parts of their bodies are exposed - they man in fact be no more exposed than a man lying prone in direct view of the enemy.

Not saying that it is a health situation to be in, but it might not be quite as immediately suicidal as it at first appears.

Regards,

. . . tanks firing on the move. Bad.

M4 Shermans and M5A1 Stuarts had gyrostabilizers. As long as the tanks were moving slow and sticking to a flat road surface there's no reason why they couldn't fire on the move. Its another matter travelling fast over rough country of course. Those gyrostabilizers were first generation.

All I know is that when my guys are running across a street under fire, they're quite likely to stop running and start shooting, if only for a few seconds (long enough to die).

This is certainly not what I was trained to do . . . and it is most certainly not what I WOULD do.

So, it actually just occurred to me that in the GAME, what I probably need to do is give a QUICK order up to where I want my guys to RUN across an open space without stopping. Therefore, I should give a FAST order from one side of the street to the other (or whatever stretch of ground I don't want them stopping in the middle of).

WW2 era tanks firing on the move? Well, how about it, Science?

". . . there's no reason why they couldn't fire on the move"

Provided that wasting ammo isn't considered a problem.

From what I've read, and I've read a lot . . . this firing on the move thing is a real problem.

Just because you CAN, doesn't mean you SHOULD.

It depends. I'd agree with you if the intention is to gain a penetrating hit on another tank. But if the immediate goal is to suppress a personnel unit of some kind, say an ATG, then close should be close enough to give them a few seconds to move to a safer location.

In any event, I think the gyrostabilizers—when they worked—were intended not so much to keep the gun on target during the move as to keep it close so that in a brief halt the gun could be quickly brought onto target.

Michael

"I should give a FAST order from one side of the street to the other (or whatever stretch of ground I don't want them stopping in the middle of)."

Even FAST move may not prevent inf from stopping and firing in the middle. I accidentally found that my AT teams did that very successfully when I tried a FAST move from one cover to another in LOS of a tank. The tube guy stopped, aimed and killed the tank. I now use that tactic deliberately with success (when there is no better option).

Happy you like the "movie", guys - it took a long time to make. More or less all my spare time in seven weeks.

To obtain the best "camera" angles and backgrounds I had to make a map practically from scratch (not entirely from scratch, though. It is actually Clearing the Niscemi Highway - but so heavily modified that I doubt that the designer, Christopher Nelson, would be able to recognize his own map).

The movie is a forty minute battle condensed into four minutes. So a huge part of the action had to be left out.

I guess I have used no more than a few percent of the Fraps footage I´ve recorded. Due to Fraps´ uncompressed video files, the project ended up taking up around 350 GBs (!) of my hard drive.

The footage was edited in Final Cut Pro 7 - the professional video editing programme I use in Faktafilm (my little video production company)

Any chance we can find out what graphics card settings they use? My in-game images don't quite that nice and I hope it's just that I have not got optimal nVidia settings.

My graphics card is a Nvidia GeForce GT 9800. All my in game setting are set to "best", "quality" etc. I cannot tell you the settings of the Nvidia panel, as mine is in danish. And since I don´t understand most of it - neither in danish nor english - I wouldn´t know how to translate it :-P

I think they shot a lot of it with quite a bit of "zoom" magnification to get that close-up effect.

I tried to avoid zooming as much as possible, as you lose a lot of the background when zoomed. But unfornately I often had no other option than to zoom to get the "camera" in the right position for a "shot".

As for the tanks shooting on the move:

Yeah, I did anticipate the comments. But even if most of the tank in the promo are in fact firing while stationary, there were a few shots of tanks firing on the move that were definitely better looking than the others. So I chose those, purely for visual reasons - and sacrificed historical accuracy for dramatic effect!

It was actually quite funny that at the time when I was "shooting" the video there was a lively debate on the forum about the (lack of) historical accuracy in "Saving Private Ryan" and other WWII movies. And I found myself facing the same sort of dilemmas on whether to choose visual clarity or historical accuracy - not that different from the ones discussed in the debate.