Blue screen of death

I have all the SC games, but a while since I played Pacific. My computer shut down Windows (blue screen) with the following error when I was loading a new scenario (right around calculating supply). However, I have not changed video card or hardware since last playing it. Thanks!

STOP 0x0000008E

atikvmg.dll

Address BF16CBFA

base at BF13A000

I have the exception trace if you need that too.

errorlog.txt

The primary error at the SC level was that DirectX was complaining that the exclusive mode was already set. This can sometimes happen if you have it in Full Screen and another game or application that also uses DirectX is attempting to steal the required video resources.

Does this sound like it could be the case?

Basically this is some sort of system error, usually a reboot will solve the problem if it continues to happen.

• 4 months later...

Hubert Cater - Rosseau I have enjoyed the challenges of SC Gold & SC Pacific but I can't seem to operate them on windows 8. I retired from USMC after 40+ years 1965-2006 I have no idea how to find the answers. If you can point me in the right direction I will be grateful. God's Blessings

ColBradleyUSMC - For SC Global Conflict Gold there is the 1.03 patch that should address most issues with Windows 8.

For SC Pacific Theater no patches have come out for Windows 8 issues, however turning off the 'full screen' option may help. You can do this by clicking on the 'Settings' button if you can make it to the main menu. If you cannot reach the main menu, then you can do this by editing the 'sc2.ini' file. The first section you will want to modify to look like this:

#ORIGINAL_SCREEN_WIDTH= 0

#ORIGINAL_SCREEN_HEIGHT= 0

#WINDOW_WIDTH= 0

#WINDOW_HEIGHT= 0

#FULL_SCREEN= 0

#BIT_DEPTH= 0

#VIDEO_ACCELERATION= 1

You may need to launch the 'notepad' editor by right-clicking and selecting "Run as administrator" and then attempt to open the 'sc2.ini' file in the Pacific Theater game directory. With the above changes, you should get a dialog box when you launch Pacific Theater requesting the resolution to use, etc. Make sure to UNCHECK the 'full screen' check box near the bottom. Select a resolution that is native or appropriate for your display. Hopefully this should get Pacific Theater running.

Also remember to patch Pacific Theater to 1.03 if you have not done so already.