C2 link question

I am playing one of the stock CW battles as the Canadian's defending a town against a German armor attack. My 1st platoon commander in A Co does not have a C2 link to the Co commander, even though both units have radios. They are defintely out of LOS of each other, but i thought if both units had a radio, that was sufficient for a green light C2 link?

The whole C2 system is rather enigmatic.

As it probably should be. During the actual war, unless your commander was within, say, arm's length of you, C2 was apt to be problematical and more or less episodic. A now-and-then kind of arrangement. This was especially true where it depended on radios, but wires could also get cut or broken, and runners might not make it to their destinations, or do so much delayed.

Michael

Michael Emrys,

Broken wires are easier to fix than broken runners! On a more serious (and less gruesome) note, I wonder whether AFV radios had shock mountings so they didn't go on and off the net every time the vehicle moved?

(goes off and researches a bit)

Don't know about AFVs yet, but jeeps sure did!

Behold the Signal Corps FT-250 Radio Mount (with a BUNCH of rubber shock dampers)!

http://ft-250.com/original_ft.htm

Regards,

John Kettler

...I wonder whether AFV radios had shock mountings so they didn't go on and off the net every time the vehicle moved?

And I wonder how they do in the game. I have one going at the moment with tanks both on the move and stationary. I'll check for that next time I fire it up, although I'm betting that movement doesn't bother them.

Michael

Okay, back after checking. Shermans stay in full radio contact whether moving or stationary, at least within their platoon. Haven't checked other tanks, but I expect that the same is likely to be true across the board. I think loss of radio contact is confined to personnel units on foot at this point in the game's evolution and is likely to stay that way for a while.

Michael