US Division Patches

LOL, good point! But their skivvies are OD.

Well, when you look at examples of real uniforms and color photos, things seem to be all over the drab/OD/khaki/whatever map. With different dye lots, wear and tear, and sun fade, I figure many shades of drab/OD/khaki/whatever would work. At least it does for me. But there are real grogs here, so what the hell...might as well get opinions.

IMO The more mixed up and messed up, the better.

I noticed however, that no other nationality's uniform mods look anywhere as good as the Gernans. I have no graphics or modding experience (or talent) so am curious why the Allied uniforms (even the Italians) always seem to lack detail/contrast... or something. The Allied uniforms seem to look more 2D than the German better 3D look. Not a criticism of your mod mj, just a general observation.

IMO The more mixed up and messed up, the better.

I noticed however, that no other nationality's uniform mods look anywhere as good as the Gernans. I have no graphics or modding experience (or talent) so am curious why the Allied uniforms (even the Italians) always seem to lack detail/contrast... or something. The Allied uniforms seem to look more 2D than the German better 3D look. Not a criticism of your mod mj, just a general observation.

Well, that's good, 'cause I didn't do alot of modding on uniforms at all! I did actually do some "outlining" of belts and things, and some color desaturation and what not. But I agree with you, and I think it is in part due to the fact that there is more variety in German unis in both CMBN and CMFI--lots and lots of gear/uniform/boot varieties. And just having a lot of camo for the Germans adds alot more variety.

Edit: Hey, no comment about the patches, Erwin? :)

p.s. You do know Hugo Boss was the fashion designer of alot of Nazi uniforms, and although I'm not certain, I imagine he had a hand in designing or influencing some of the general Wehrmacht clothing. Either way, to me, German uniforms are just neater looking than most of the Allies, with the exception of US and Brit Paras, late War USMC, and French Moroccan/Algerian (forget which) Goumiers.

Echoing what someone said about the uniforms-leave the mix of new and worn. Not a parade ground. Some had new uniform items some used them after quite a few washings. And N. African and Sicilian sun I'm sure bleached out quite a lot. Looks GREAT!:)

Audie Murphy to the rescue-with the brown pants- in Hollywood TECHNICOLOR -though I don't think the 3rd Inf. Division patch was that prominent on the helmet. Footage is just for pants color reference.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fY21PXTcgnw&feature=relmfu

Echoing what someone said about the uniforms-leave the mix of new and worn. Not a parade ground. Some had new uniform items some used them after quite a few washings. And N. African and Sicilian sun I'm sure bleached out quite a lot. Looks GREAT!:)

Audie Murphy to the rescue-with the brown pants- in TECHNICOLOR -though I don't think the division patch was that prominent on the helmet. Footage is just for pants reference.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fY21PXTcgnw&feature=relmfu

LOL, convinced! I saw that and many many more WWII movies in the local theater as a kid. I was always on Cloud Nine when a war movie was on the bill...Battleground, Breakthrough, Pork Chop Hill, Sands of Iwo Jima...the list goes on and on. They would run ones the older ones from the 40's like Guadalcanal Diary and the like on Saturdays. Good times.:)

Ooohhhhhhhhh, I was about 10 when that was on the local TV station's Friday Midnight Movie...always a big event in itself just to be allowed to stay up and watch it. i'll never forget Eddie Albert cowardly, craven American Infantry officer (Colonel???). I simply could not believe that any aAmerican officer could ever be that way. Big eye-opener to me, too!

mjkerner,

I think this guy might be excellent to command the Eddie Albert character. Ever since I learned about his underground CP's location WAY behind the front line, let alone the extreme everything that went into building and protecting it (learned of it minutes ago), I have thoroughly loathed him. In the Red Army, he would've been sent to a penal battalion--if he was lucky!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lloyd_Fredendall

Regards,

John Kettler

Now uploaded at GaJ's CMMODS...2/3rds of it at least.

I packaged them in 3 parts--Armor/Sicily/Italy--because of the upload limits for BFC's Repository (should be up there on Monday). I'm waiting to hear from LongLeftFlank (check your email/PMs, mate) regarding some files from his PTO mod for the Nisei units before uploading the last package.

Hope you enjoy them.

mjk

CMFortressItaly2012-10-1310-15-17-85.jpg

Part 3, Italy, is up at CMMODS. It turns out that Coon Dog, not LongLeftFlank, did the Asian faces I want to use for the Nisei of the 100th Battalion and 442nd RCT, and he hasn't been around for a while. I PM'd him. In the meantime, I took those two units out of Part 3.

You're welcome, Erwin.

Nisei Units now up at CMMODS:

US Divisional Patched Uniforms for CMFI: 100th Battalion and 442nd RCT

This uniform mod is in honor of all the Nisei-Americans who fought for my country in WWII. You all know they had an extremely tough row to hoe just getting into battle to prove to the rest of the country that they were "worthy" of doing so, while their loved ones lost homes and businesses and put into internment camps. One from the 442nd was my neighbor about 35 years ago. Quiet, unassuming, and had a killer garden. Thank you for your service, Mr. Toki, and rest in peace.

There are two versions of Asian faces for the 100th Battalion and 442nd RCT. LongLeftFlank kindly informed me that the Asian faces used in his excellent PTO Mod were done by Coon Dog, who has been missing on the boards for a while. I was unable to contact him, but I hope he will be OK with me using his faces here. Coon Dog's faces were done for CMBN, however, which doesn't have "bump (or is it normal--I forget) mapping". In CMFI, the mappings literally map the contours of the picture/texture bmp file, so eye sockets, cheekbones noses and other contours "reflect" the light better...or something like that. Anyhoo, putting a CMBN face texture on a CMFI face map causes funky-looking faces because the contoured map doesn't line up with the facial features artwork.

So, I made two sets for you to choose from. "Asian Faces I" are CMFI faces with simple coloration changes so as to at least set them off from the more paler Caucasian faces in the game. "Asian Faces II" are Coon Dog's CMBN ones. Take your pick.

AsianFacesII2.jpg

mjkerner,

The self-proclaimed "Buddha heads" were significantly smaller framed than the average GI, as you can see here in this classic film (below). For game purposes, the 100th Battalion and the later 442nd RCT would have to be rated Fanatical. These guys definitely had something to prove. To everyone!

Go for Broke!

This pic shows what I mean. Am pretty certain the lead officer is Caucasian, and most of his troops are significantly smaller and shorter. Too bad there isn't a tool to downsize a soldier's frame!

http://nisei.hawaii.edu/object/io_1148331705609.html

Regards,

John Kettler

• 3 years later...