Multiple Graphics Errors

Having a lot of problems running a WWII scenario under the upgraded Breakthrough engine. The game keeps crashing when units are moved, placed automatically or upgraded. Reducing the graphics to minimal effects seems to lengthen the time between crashes but not eliminate them. Most of the fatal errors are segmentation violations. Here is one example:

FAILED(draw_unit_tertiary_level_to_buffer): Segmentation Violation.

This does not seem to happen on my laptop which runs WinXP 32 on intel graphics but happens routinely on my game PC running Win 7 64 with a Radeon 6950 and 24 GB of DDR3. The Great War engine runs this same scenario on both machines with no issues and no hardware changes have been made.

The scenario was rebuilt in the Breakthrough engine using normal importation techniques. All the scripts were rewritten with the new parameters and successfully compiled.

Any thoughts? My gaming PC has a lot more horsepower than my laptop so I'd prefer to run the game there.

Will

There have been changes to the Breakthrough game engine and as a result you cannot simply load any of the older, non Breakthrough campaigns without updating some of the BMPs.

This is likely causing your crashes.

If you take a look at the Breakthrough installation folder, specifically the Bitmaps subfolder, you'll see all the bitmaps that have changed for Breakthrough.

Please ensure that any campaign you are attempting to import have these updated Bitmap sprites in the custom campaign subfolder Bitmaps folder.

You'll also have to ensure that the campaign.ini file has the following line set:

#CUSTOM_BITMAPS= 1

You might want to open the campaign in the Editor as well and run through all the scripts as some of the scripts require some changes as well, this will simply ensure that the campaign then plays properly in game.

Hope this helps,

Hubert

There have been changes to the Breakthrough game engine and as a result you cannot simply load any of the older, non Breakthrough campaigns without updating some of the BMPs.

This is likely causing your crashes.

If you take a look at the Breakthrough installation folder, specifically the Bitmaps subfolder, you'll see all the bitmaps that have changed for Breakthrough.

Please ensure that any campaign you are attempting to import have these updated Bitmap sprites in the custom campaign subfolder Bitmaps folder.

You'll also have to ensure that the campaign.ini file has the following line set:

#CUSTOM_BITMAPS= 1

You might want to open the campaign in the Editor as well and run through all the scripts as some of the scripts require some changes as well, this will simply ensure that the campaign then plays properly in game.

Hope this helps,

Hubert

The scenario is a custom one which was built by importing the attributes through the editor and all of the associated scripts execute properly. One thing I didn't do was to update the bitmaps in the custom folder. As you say, some of the bitmaps have changed quite a bit and I found that replacing one of these, the symbol_sprites.bmp, seems to have solved all of my problems. However, it's possible I could have issues with one of the others as well. If this is the case I'll report back here so other modders won't have the same issues.

Thanks for the quick reply Hubert and I do apologize if the bitmap differences were spelled out in the literature since I just assumed only the script parameters had changed.

Will

Thanks for the update Will and no apologies necessary, in fact I'm not even 100% sure that it was spelled out in the literature and I'll have to double check that and make a note of it if not as I'm sure you will not be the first one to encounter this issue ;)

That being said, definitely update your custom mod bitmaps to ensure that they match at least the ones that are in the default Breakthrough folder. For example, the wrong unit research levels will show if you do not use the latest levels_sprites bmp etc.

Worst case ensure that the custom bmps at least match the dimensions of the bmps in the default folder as that will ensure no crashes.

By the way, for those of you just getting into modding, using MS Paint included in all versions of Windows you can easily resize any custom bitmaps you may have.

Thanks again Hubert...once again you guys set the gold standard for support. :D