Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

One minute of a battle...

Guest KwazyDog

Guest KwazyDog

Heya guys. I thought Id post this little AAR for those of you whom are interested. It was an email I sent to Steve just after I got hold of the beta (hence my last statement smile.gif). The scenerio I was playing is an allied assult on a town over a river that dog legs across the map. I was playing as the Germans, and had an engineering platoon as the only defences on the Allies side of the bridge. Here it is....

In the area leading up the stone bridge from the east, about 7 minutes into the battle, the Allies had lost a lone Churchill to a Panzerschreck about 60m down the road from the bridge, which provided a temporary roadblock. About 50m behind it they had another Churchill moving up, unbuttoned, firing across the bridge at a lynx that had advance slightly around a forested bend on the other side of the river.

Well, I did two things in the order phase. I sent a sharpshooter I had in the forest hill to sneak a little closer to take a couple of pot shots at the Churchills commander (you never know your luck, hehe), and I also set up an ambush on a road in the forested area leading into the bridge that consisted of an ambush marker 30m from my units, and targeted 2 squads and a flamethrower at it.

Here is what happened smile.gif

The tank started to move towards the bridge, the allied commander obviously presumed the already spotted bunker was the only defenses on the western side of the bridge (His orders told him the area was very lightly defended). The lynx automatically started to back up back around the corner with no input from me (this was already plotted by the AI the turn before). The Churchill slowed behind the knocked out vehicle and pushed it off to the right of the road, clearing the way for other vehicles behind.

About 1/3 to 1/2 way through the turn, the sharpshooter got into position and took a single shot at the tank commander. I don't believe he got him, but he buttoned up as the tank trundled on its way. Another 20-30m down the road, the tank triggered the ambush. Although one of the ambushing squads had been detected by infantry about 100m away and was under light fire, the tank obvious was not informed in time as he did not react (there is a C&C delay here when vehicles are buttoned). The tank obviously didn't notice the ambush, and the fact that it was raining (which is why the tank was on the road in the first place) couldn't have

helped.

This is where all hell broke loose for the Churchill. Two of the ambushing engineer squads opened fire at once with Panzerfaust 60s. One, coming from the tank's front right immobilized the vehicle only seconds before one hit almost directly from the side, penetrating the hull. The crew hung in for another few second but bailed out and surrendered to the engineers only 20m odd away, hehe. One crew member was killed, the other 4 weren't ready for a fight.

This all happened in the game, no creative writing or elaborations. No wargame has even come close to this depth, realism, and more importantly atmosphere that I personally have ever played smile.gif

I cant tell you for certain, but I think that sniper really saver the day! smile.gif Id say the infantry would have been chewed if that commander had not been unbuttoned.

[This message has been edited by KwazyDog (edited 11-03-99).]

Guest John Maragoudakis

I can imagine the infantry screaming at the churchill, 'stop stop!! << ka Boom >>

When your plans start to work in this game you really feel like nothing can stop you ,like you *can* win.

[This message has been edited by John Maragoudakis (edited 11-04-99).]

Guest KwazyDog

John, I probably almost could have heard them, hehe, if it wasnt for the German concrete bunker on a hill on the other side of the river that started hammering them with several MG-42's as soon as they were spotted smile.gif I know what you mean by when you start getting a roll on you feel nothing can stop you. Things just sorta click in place. Thats why I wrote this to Steve in the first place, it just felt very right the way it all happened. The allies had it real bad later in this battle as well. A fighter attempting to take out an 88 flak in the town missed by near 50m and took out one of the two bridges into the town smile.gif

Sage, hehe, Ill see what I can do smile.gif