Scenarios of BT - First impressions

What a neat package....lots of interesting scenarios and lots to play through. Due to some travel I can make some first comments on the scenarios:

1) Balkans War: I guess the Bulgarians are underrated in this one. It is very tough to emulate their progress, I also see some trouble with the Greeks. Maybe needs some tweaking for balance, but let's wait a bit first.

2) Verdun: Unfortunately, so far the only ahistorical scenario. Germans have it way too difficult in the first days and then way too easy. Maybe better human vs. human. AI is not very clever in this one.

3) Russian Civil War: So far, brilliant.

4) Call to Arms new: A fantastic scenario made even better.

5) 1914 Divisional West: Another hit. I only played three turns, but it showed the potential. This one will be definitely played human vs human. Excellent.

So far, only one miss, but 4 straight hits. Well done!

(1) Balkans War

I have played this scenario from both sides, and I see no imbalances. If you give more power to the Bulgarians, they can attack Istanbul too early. It is difficult to achieve a victory over the Ottomans, but it is possible (needed two attempts myself).

(2) Verdun

Interesting, the impressions I had were completely different. In the beginning it is very easy for the German forces to advance, but once the fortresses are reached, it gets very challenging and bloody for Germany.

I am currently playing this scenario versus a human player, and I cannot foresee the outcome yet. Up to now 13 turns are played, and the German troops have gathered around the french fortresses, but cannot get in. Douamont is take by German troops, but in the next turn the French take it back. Up to now I would not call it ahistorical.

This is what I really love about SC... each match can be different.

(1) Balkans War

I have played this scenario from both sides, and I see no imbalances. If you give more power to the Bulgarians, they can attack Istanbul too early. It is difficult to achieve a victory over the Ottomans, but it is possible (needed two attempts myself).

(2) Verdun

Interesting, the impressions I had were completely different. In the beginning it is very easy for the German forces to advance, but once the fortresses are reached, it gets very challenging and bloody for Germany.

I am currently playing this scenario versus a human player, and I cannot foresee the outcome yet. Up to now 13 turns are played, and the German troops have gathered around the french fortresses, but cannot get in. Douamont is take by German troops, but in the next turn the French take it back. Up to now I would not call it ahistorical.

This is what I really love about SC... each match can be different.

I think that Balkans War is too easy on the Turks, especially against the Bulgarians. I think the Turks need more fortresses in front of Istanbul, however.

For the Verdun scenario, I only played against the AI. Against human players, it might look completely different.

About the Verdun thing, am I the only one who finds it weird/stupid that the victory condition for french is to have German moral drop to 0%?

I played against the AI and unless I played it wrong(which I might, I am admitetly worst at devensive gameplay) the french are way weaker.(they have less corps, their guns are better and I believe their shell production is a level higher(or at least felt that way)

I did manage to have time run out with all of Verdun and Douamont in my possesion, but break german moral?

@ Rabelsius:

I agree that the Ottoman side is slightly easier to play than the Allies. I just played the Ottomans once, and I achieved a tactical victory.. and I did a lot of mistakes, so maybe your feelings about tweaking the scenario a bit might be right. ;)

@ Sapare:

If you defend Verdun and keep the fortresses, you achieved more or less the historical outcome. Some historians say that Verdun was a strategic victory for France, but in my opinion it was just a major tactical victory. French losses were slightly higher than the German losses, but the strategic target to bleed the French Army white was not achieved. But a strategic victory means you need to defeat the enemy, and this did not happen.

The losses did not really hurt Germany by that time, they still hat enough ressources left. Just compare it with the Nivelle Offensive... horrifiying losses and mutinies for the French, and this did not happen to Germany in Verdun.

What I want to say: to achieve a strategic vicotry in the game you need to break German NM, and this can only be achieved when you do better than history, i.e. inflict more damage to the German army.

I haven´t yet tried the french side in this scenario, but I would agree that Germany is slightly overpowered. So I don´t know if it is possible to get the German NM to 0%... but the idea is that you have to kill so many German troops that they are definitely beaten. What other victory conditions would you suggest? I think it is quite difficult for the French to conquer the German Capital :D ...

For a mayor victory I might agree to the 0% thing(but really, it is just kinda problematic because germany is supposed to be attacking. Anyone could abuse the victory conditions by just playing on a stalmate/defensively the moment they see that their german offenses kinda failed.)

I would say at least a minor victory for not losing verdun and that 1 fortress. It is already nearly impossible to do.(It just isnt a stalmate if the attacker failed to capture his target....)

Also, to the Balkan thing. Ottomanis OP? I might have to replay with Ottoman but I got minor victory against AI as Ottoman on try 1, and then I got mayor victory by Ottoman moral reaching 0(I was infront of Constantinople with all nations troops combined) on try 1 with balkans.

I don't see the Balkan War scenario as being over-generous to the Turks - if anything it's easier for the Balkan states. Mind you they did win in the real world.

Found the Brusilov Offensive to be a bit of a slug-fest, but maybe I'm just not doing it right.

Also, to the Balkan thing. Ottomanis OP? I might have to replay with Ottoman but I got minor victory against AI as Ottoman on try 1, and then I got mayor victory by Ottoman moral reaching 0(I was infront of Constantinople with all nations troops combined) on try 1 with balkans.

I had the same results on my first playthrough vs the AI.

Regarding the Verdun scneraio, I too found it easy playing as the germans. So far my favourite scenario is the divisional level Ludendorff offensive in 1918, what a beauty! I Hope to have to for some multiplayer action in the future.

@ Preusse: if you want some multiplayer action, just send me your E-Mail via PN... and you will receive the first turn :-) I would prefer to play the German side, but I will do the Allied side as well. Ludendorff is my favorite campaign as well.

I sent you my info.