Video: The Fleeting Moment

Really excellent work. My favourite shot? @ 2:30: The 2nd objective in silhouette, the italians fighting and falling screen left.

Overall, excellent use of screen direction to help tell the story. Italians moving from Right to Left. Americans defending from Left to Right.

Minor quibble: In a few places, the screen direction switches, which creates some momentary confusion for the viewer.

1:11: Italians attacking Left to Right

1:46: Italians hunting Left to Right

Sometimes this can't be avoided (especially when the action generated in game might not look as good when viewed from the opposite angle). It can be mitigated by establishing beforehand, that you're "crossing the line." Or, taking the time to establish the overall layout in the scene. Which I think you've done well when depicting the 2nd objective assault.

Really nice work. A joy to watch. Makes me want to fire up the game.

Gpig

Thanks!

You are totally right about the screen direction. I haven't thought about that and haven't done any battle scenes before. Was really worried if someone will actually understand who is attacking, who is defending and who is fighting who and when :) I will stick to constant screen direction in my next movie.

Also, I am not happy how the movie ended, but I didn't really had much in the way of footage by the end (Was really busy to actually completing that objective as I was running out of time. That's why you see that suicidal assault on that building by the end :eek:)

Overall I was surprised how good CM engine can be for machinima movies. Except maybe for doing an overland/over the top shots as I usually dip below 20 FPS in this case no matter what I do.

Sometimes it's OK to switch screen direction. You can have the intention to break the rule when it works for you. (And it's more of a guideline than a rule.)

I thought it worked well. Visually, it told a story (approach 1st objective, battle, enemy surrender, consolodate, approach 2nd objective, assault, battle, victory, aftermath) without any dialogue required. Well, except for the ingame voices.

The ending was a bit more chaotic, but I think it worked. Battle should have a feel of chaos.

Cheers,

Gpig

A very small quibble with the video description: "A small US recon group is overwhelmed by two Italian infantry regiments."

It's more like: "A small US patrol is overwhelmed by two Italian infantry platoons."

(two regiments would be, like, 6,000 men! :eek: :D )

A very small quibble with the video description: "A small US recon group is overwhelmed by two Italian infantry regiments."

It's more like: "A small US patrol is overwhelmed by two Italian infantry platoons."

(two regiments would be, like, 6,000 men! :eek: :D )

Shhh, fixed :D

I think I took that "regiment" from the official mission brief. Or I might have messed it up with campaign brief. Heh, I am not really that good with all this military stuff :)