Time to process a turn?

Guest L Tankersley

Guest L Tankersley

I'm just curious as to about how long it takes CM to crunch the numbers and produce the results movie after all orders have been entered. Obviously this depends on processor speed and possibly memory and other factors as well; I'm just looking for a rough order of magnitude. Is it approximately real time (about a minute to process a 1-minute turn), or substantially faster or slower?

[Even if it takes 5-10 minutes, that's ok, but from a gameplay perspective it would be annoying to have to wait so long to find out how your forces fared.]

L. Tankersley

P.S. I'm jonesing for the next AAR update!

Guest Big Time Software

Doug, I think that was roughly how long we estimated it would take to watch the turn for an average size battle (i.e. you watch the move 10 times from various places).

As far as the turn crunching goes, it is more variable than just the hardware. The more vehicles (and units in general) and combat you have the longer it takes. Also, the AI is something I haven't fully seen in action yet (just some skirmishes so far, though the AI is almost done. Charles just hasn't given me a build in 2 weeks!), so that is another HUGE variable.

However, an average game's average turn on an average system probably won't take more than 2 minutes or so. Could be longer, but I wouldn't think over 5 minutes for average. Maybe not even for an extreme turn. Dunno wink.gif

Steve

The time to crunch the numbers for the current game vary GREATLY with how much actually is happening on the map. In the beginning, the first few turns took maybe 10-20 seconds only - not surprising since not much was moving around. When the battle heated up I have had a few turns that took 1-2 minutes to compute. But so far nothing longer than that...

Guest Big Time Software

Hehehe... and Martin is using the Debug version, which is about twice as slow sometimes wink.gif But then again, Mr. Moon has pretty much the highest end PC that can be had (not for long though!). If he was playing against the AI the turns would be much longer though, even for the earlier ones.

Steve