Breakout Installation Question

No, don't do that. While the expansion won't work standalone, i.e. you do need the base game to play, it IS launched and played as a separate game. So the default installer is correct to not use the existing folder for the installation.

Will all 30 scenarios show up when it is installed there, or will I need to go back and forth between them to play them all?

scenarios from the core game will not show up in the expansion, only the main campaing, 1914 Call to Arms remains in the list of scenarios for the expansion, but I'm sure you will not go back into playing the core game :D

Just to try and clarify here, Breakthrough is an expansion to the previous WWI game and it comes with a brand new executable including many new features and options that only the new campaigns are compatible with.

This is the same with all of our past expansions and the older campaigns that come with the base game are just that, older campaigns that only work with the base game.

Hopefully that helps to clear that up,

Hubert

You have a point, Gorgo Primus.

I would love a menu with all campaigns too, regardless from which installations, regardless which SC game would need to start after i decide to start one campaign of the list.

Sigh.

:)

There are ways to do this such as if there were no changes to the options and features and the AI or game engine code, i.e. essentially if the expansion was just a list of new campaigns, then there would be no need for a separate installation and it could just be a campaign expansion install that would install into the same existing folder as the base game.

However, since Breakthrough is for the most part a new game, albeit built upon the original WWI base game so it does share some files, this is not an option and needs some of its own support files, i.e. compatible with only Breakthrough, as well as a new set of executables and so on.

In this case what could be done is to have a launcher that will display the list of campaigns and then launch the applicable game EXE for the particular campaign.

It is doable but I'd have to think about the effort involved as it just not something we've done before and perhaps something to think about for the future.

Either way though, in the end it would still be more or less the same result, older campaigns only compatible with the base game EXE and newer campaigns only compatible with the new expansion EXE.