Relative movement

Guest John Maragoudakis

Guest John Maragoudakis

Are the odds of hitting a vehicle dependent on the relative direction of the vehicle with respect to the shooter or only on the vehicles speed.

Ie, is a tank coming straight for a bazooka team easier to hit than one that is going from side to side?

Guest John Maragoudakis

In otherwords, if a unit has weak front aromor, can I have it move lateraly to decrease the chance that it will get hit?

Yeah, that's a good question. I've wondered myself if weaving those Hellcats down the hill on Last Defense would be more effective than dashing them straight into town. Weaving would take longer, but make them harder to hit in reality because of the lateral and vertical alterations the firing unit would have to make to track it. Dashing straight into town would be quicker, but make for easier vertical tracking.

Are those factors taken into consideration?

Dar

Well, based on what I've seen when playing with bazooka teams and Panzerschreck teams I'd have to say that laterally moving targets ARE more difficult to hit.

I've had schrecks simply knock out myriads of vehicles driving almost straight towards them down a road BUT I've had very few kills once the vehicle is moving fast laterally.

Of course if the vehicle is moving slowly laterally kill rates go up but a vehicle moving quickly laterally is very difficult to miss.

Check out the "Dash O' Death" HT in the Alpha PBEM game.. It was fired at by 5 or 6 zooks and all missed cause it was dashing down a road and moving laterally to the zook teams for much of its travel. IF it had been rushing straight towards one the 2nd shot would surely have gotten it.

------------------

Fionn Kelly

Manager of Historical Research,

The Gamers Net - Gaming for Gamers

Quote:

Of course if the vehicle is moving slowly laterally kill rates go up but a vehicle moving quickly laterally is very difficult to miss.

Ah, Fionn, you did mean difficult to _hit_, didn't you? If not, I'm getting really, really, confused here.

Guest John Maragoudakis

Not meaning to be too picky. When calculating chance of hit, is the range to target calculated according to where the target is or where it will be when the round intercepts the fast moving halftrack?

The difference in both examples would be more apparent if the target was moving away from the shooter, [either to the side,(lateral), or in reverse direction, or if the target had overran your positon and was getting further away].

[This message has been edited by John Maragoudakis (edited 11-17-99).]

yes, I meant hit rates sorry.

I'm just so used to a hit being a kill with my trusty Schreck teams that I use the terms almost interchangeable when discussing team AT weapons.

------------------

Fionn Kelly

You know, I wasn't even thinking at the time (I do that a lot--post, then think!), but if CM models the trajectory of individual shells and rockets, then they inherently have less chance to hit something moving laterally, right?

I mean, the chance of the trajectory of a shell hitting something moving laterally as opposed to something moving directly toward or away from the firing unit is, by nature, less. Or am I posting before thinking after thinking after posting? smile.gif

Dar

I think you're right regarding the relative motion making it obviously more difficult to hit via sheer physics and the necessity of "leading" the target.

------------------

Fionn Kelly