Scenario: KG Himmelfahrt

Pandur

+1 to the above. I hope you don't have to redo the map or scenario. I thought the only potentially significant issue would be the more effective MG42's

But, since your concept (I think) was to give the German player the opportunity to conduct a "reasonable attack" that should work with acceptable casualties (similar to the xnt CMSF Habibollah Kalay scenario) I can't see any reason to change anything (other than the bottleneck caused by the bridge and ford that we discussed earlier).

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd agree with Erwin. I wouldn't look to change too much. The MG effectiveness may alter the battle a bit, but I don't think enough to undermine the scenario.

The only issue for me is it is simply a major commitment in time to take on a scenario like this and unless I play it through I lose track of what I was planning... yeah old age. LOL Still it beats having it set up on a gameboard waiting for the cat to pounce.

Agreed, large scenarios and campaigns take way more time than similar CM1 versions. CM2 is much more detailed and unforgiving of mistakes. But, it's great scenarios like Himmelfahrt that keep me up at nights thinking about the optimal moves.

The only reason I haven't completed it that I decided to stop and wait on all my CM2 WW2 games until we get closer to the final patches/modules, so we can have the engine working optimally. (I hate replaying games.) So for now, have been enjoying CMA and CMSF.

Agreed, large scenarios and campaigns take way more time than similar CM1 versions. CM2 is much more detailed and unforgiving of mistakes. But, it's great scenarios like Himmelfahrt that keep me up at nights thinking about the optimal moves.

The only reason I haven't completed it that I decided to stop and wait on all my CM2 WW2 games until we get closer to the final patches/modules, so we can have the engine working optimally. (I hate replaying games.) So for now, have been enjoying CMA and CMSF.

LOL you realize of course that day may be years in the future. BF has committed to keeping the games up to date with engine improvements which will all likely include their own patches. I would have to say I think CMBN is more solid than CMSF (and I love CMSF), CMSF will simply not be receiving any more updates.

so that mean i as scenario designer dont have to load the battle in "2.0" editor and save it again for 2.0 players to be able to play it?

like any 2.0 player can still DL this and play it with the new changes in effect? that would be cool.

i dont care if new MG´s make problems in the scenario. there are no unrealistic amounts of MG´s stacked in the scenario, only inherent MG´s so the player got to figure out how to deal with them. the senario and forces are big enough so that a few changed MG´s can not break anything. also the german MG´s are also better now, its not like only the enemy MG´s are changed. this should be no problem i think.

also special tanks to you two for providing continues feedback. i know playing stuff that size IS a commitment, but a hobby is often commitment and the joy comes from the results not form the labour we put into it. i feel its the same way with such big scenarios. sometimes in the middle it can feel like work, but only cause there is such an abundance of awesomeness that we get fed up of it. but in the end i sit down and think hell yea, what a blast.

cant wait for east front to come out, i have to do some large scenarios in east front for sure.

you're a good man Pandur. A better man than me I think. Sorry to derail your thread.

i meant to answer on this a long time, just forgot.

i dont belive in the concept of beeing better, we are all different noone is better or worse. bout derailing the thread, well wasnt so bad, you guys just rubed each other the wrong way, i couldnt see how to steer this back on course so i left you guys to duke it out. **** happens, i wasnt pissed or anything :P

also bad publicity is also publicity, you guys kept the thing going for a while :P

"cant wait for east front to come out, i have to do some large scenarios in east front for sure."

Yes... if you can make similar scenarios (and campaigns) to Himmelfahrt, it will be very exciting.

And sburke: I think as BF gets closer to final patches, we'll be able to play the games without the "damn, I wish I'd waited for "x" patch or "y" module, so I could have really enjoyed the full experience" feeling.

There's still a huge amount of CMSF and CMA I haven't played.

SPOILERS

say i am curious, did any of you pay much attention to the big church tower in schmidt?

now i can tell you, i suspected players to get pissed off by the arty and area fire the church tower that is a dominating outlook point for FO´s. the US got 1 FO in there and i used a AI group only to get a forward placed FO to retreat and move up the tower after 1.30 or 2 hours or so. also in case the first FO is killed by area fire. it should give the impression that the area fire was without effect or the FO is elswhere.

this is a very subtle thing in a big scenario so iam not sure if it gets noticed but i like to use some AI groups for very specific and smal tasks.