Whats wrong with this picture?

wozpower

I just installed this new sweet ass video card (GTX660Ti). Before I was using a GTS240 which I was able to play CMFI but on large maps it was painfully slow. So I purchased this super card only to find out that CMFI plays the same! How can this be?! Currently when I play the maps are constantly reloading the ground cover and I have even noticed some glitches and a slow down today (which I never noticed with the GTS240). All my drivers are up to date and all my other games play fine (but they played fine before). I was expecting bliss after I spent $300 on this super V card. This can’t be the way everyone plays this game or the murder rate would skyrocket. This is making me crazy! Any suggestions?

What anti-aliasing setting are you using? Try turning it off completely and see if it makes a difference. Also, do you have a 3 GB or 2 GB card? Apparently the 2 GB versions run better since the card doesn't have enough memory bandwidth for 3 GB.

We’d also like to say a few words about minimum frame rates in this benchmark. Nvidia’s GeForce cards lose the race big time, no matter what anti-aliasing settings we use. Subjectively, a single GeForce GTX 660 Ti under the effects of 8x MSAA is worse than the already-bad CrossFire setup. That's right: Nvidia's stuttering under those settings is more annoying than the micro-stuttering typical of many CrossFire arrays. And this is in spite of our efforts to pick settings that yield playable frame rates on all cards at every setting. We really can’t recommend Nvidia's GeForce GTX 660 Ti if you plan to use 4x or 8x MSAA; even two Radeon HD 7750s are a better choice.

We aren't saying that anyone else ran their benchmarks on Nvidia's GeForce GTX 660 Ti incorrectly. Really, the card that wins depends on games, settings, and resolutions. This card isn’t a good choice for less demanding titles, but it does make a strong showing when a lot of GPU performance and, relatively speaking, not a lot of memory bandwidth are needed. But this exposes the card's big issue. Nvidia's GeForce GTX 660 Ti isn’t really a premium card.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-660-ti-memory-bandwidth-anti-aliasing,3283-11.html

wozpower,

There is a simple solution. Remove your video card, put it back in the original packaging, and mail it to me. In exchange, I will send you an HD6850. Then, I will be burdened with your lemon of a card. I will do this for you. I await the arrival of your package.

;)

Seriously, that card, or the 670, will be replacing the aforementioned 6850 (which was only a placeholder, anyway). One of the differences in CM games is that they are not as video limited as other games. Schrullenhaft, and others, would know far more about this than I do. So, the video card is not much of a factor in framerates. (AIUI)

Try a posting in the tech support section. There may some tweaks available to give you more performance.

Good luck.

Ken

Is there an explanation about all the anti-aliasing settings (and the other settings) that nVidia provides.

I currently have all the antialiasing settings at max. Is that wrong? I don't have performance problems but obviously I want the best looking image and have never figured out for certain what settings to use.

@Wozpower

Before you resolve your problem definitively with a hammer :D, one thing you should do is play CMFI clean. That means that you should close your computer and open it again. That way all the unnecessary temporary files usually over crowding it will be erased. You will that way have a better access to, your computer memory and your graphic card memory should work better.

From that moment you can try to find different setting as said above. Beware that some setting won’t be effective if they are not set in the card hardware.

That makes the setting a bit tricky. That is why it is a good thing to put down by writing all the setting being done. Then choose a rather graphically difficult scenario, like “Biazzo ridge” for its vineyards and try different setting until you are satisfy. Do all the testing with it and always from a computer new start over. I know that it is time consuming and annoying but that is the price to pay when the game has some problems with your hardware.

Sound not very much technical but there are so many different issues with computers and graphic cards that despite what is written, I have not found a better way to do it.

Cheer

There's a general rule of thumb, that there's one graphics setting for taking pretty screenshots and a different graphics setting for actually playing a large scenario. Me and antialiasing/multisampling never got along particularly well, especially with heavily wooded/hedgerow terrain like in CMBN.

I have to 2G version and another thing I forgot to mention about this new card is all the tree tops disappear when I scroll close so I see only sticks. Then when I scroll out the trees return but this never happened with the GTS240. I’ve tried to make a few adjustments to the card to no avail. I used to like NVidia products, now I can’t tell if they are overpriced turds. This is super vexing!! None of this sounds familiar to anyone else? All your game play is smooth and slow down free?

I have to 2G version and another thing I forgot to mention about this new card is all the tree tops disappear when I scroll close so I see only sticks. Then when I scroll out the trees return but this never happened with the GTS240.

Did you accidentally change your tree settings with the Alt T command? There is a setting that only shows the trunks so you can see your troops in heavy trees.