Some newbie questions

1. How does motorization work? Sometimes my guys drive, and other times they walk. Do you have to keep upgrading motorization, is it like a use once thing? Does motorization2 let you go further?

2. How do you see ships in the ocean? MY planes seem unable to spot them, any ideas?

3. What do you do with anti tank units as germany, put them in france?

4. Is bombing a besieged city with strategic bombers a good idea? It does not seem to hurt the defender, but do people do it to reduce the city supply? Does that make it easier to take the city?

5. Is there any way to stop malta from hurting the axis supply line without just capturing it?

6. Any advice on taking north africa? So far i basically have to operate 6 airplanes there to have a chance.

7. How far do the long range plane upgrades send paratroopers? Is it a good investment?

Thx

1. You have to buy the tech advance for a unit which is able to get it. Once bought, it is a permanent enhancement. And yes, motorization enhance the move abilities.

2. Some planes can do recon flights. Strategic bombers have the best spotting range.

3. Put them where ever you need a unit, or where you expect tank attacks. There is no golden rule where to place them.

4. Yes, because it helps to reduce unit entrenchments and to lower supply values, which will affect units nearby. Btw.: strategic bombers can attack twice.

5. I'm not sure, but it might help to conquer Gibraltar.

6. Air supperiority is a good way to conquer north africa. Good supply and tanks won't hurt either. Naval bombardement. But it will alway be costly and difficult. For each side.

7. Not sure here either. But in general it is always a good thing to have long range planes (and with it the possibility for long range air drops).

5. I'm not sure, but it might help to conquer Gibraltar.

I think that battering the Malta port, with either air or naval units, helps. It seemed to me that knocking the Malta port value down to 0 meant that Axis supply to NA was uninterrupted.

In the standard game Malta will interdict Axis supply on a random basis (15% chance) so long as any sort of Allied land or air unit is based on the island.

If the Axis has taken Gibraltar then the supply level on Malta is subject to reduction.

Malta's impact on Axis supply is not changed even if the island lacks supply itself. Thus taking Gibraltar merely gives the Axis a better chance to destroy Allied units based on the island - if the Allied unit there is destroyed, then Malta stops impacting Axis supply until another Allied unit arrives or until the Axis captures it.

My own view is that the Malta supply effect should be more tightly determined. I have experimented with making the Malta effect dependent on there being either Allied air units based on the island or naval units in the port rather than there being any land unit on the island. I also make certain sea hexes leading to the island from East or West capable of Axis interdiction to simulate the real convoy battles that took place. Thus any Axis naval unit on one of these hexes will reduce supply on the island (hexes to the West) or the port (hexes to the East). Finally if the Axis has taken all the ports in Egypt and Syria I make any Allied units based in Malta or its port subject to random strength loss, notionally from heavy Axis air raids. Unfortunately I have not yet found a way to code the Axis AI to attack Malta but that might just be my lack of experience as a scenario designer.

Regards

Mike