Target Acquisition

Dar

Didn't find any results for this while searching, so I have to ask:

As you fire at a target, do your chances of hitting it increase with each shot? If so, must both the firing unit and the target be immobile, or is movement a factor?

I'm curious if the tactics of stopping, engaging a target, and moving off to a new location before the enemy zeroes in on you will pay off. If acquisition and movement are factors, this should really benefit more experienced crews, I would imagine!

Thanks,

Dar Steckelberg

Guest Big Time Software

Not sure if small arms fire (MGs are small arms) gets more accurate, but guns certainly do. So yes, if you shoot 4 rounds from a tank you will get more accurate each shot. Moving has, so far as I know, little to do with this as a seperate factor. HOWEVER, firing on the move does hit accuracy depending on a host of variables. And the target being on the move also tosses in a host of variables.

I can assure you, staying in one place and firing several shots is much better than moving. Defensively this might not be a good idea, of course smile.gif This is one of the reasons why AT guns are so deadly in real life (and in CM). The gun can't move in between shots, so it is forced to fire from the same position. HINT: if an AT gun is shooting at you, don't stop smile.gif

Steve

What I meant to ask was: Does the tactic work of stopping, engaging a target <u>until it's destroyed,</u> and *then* moving to another location to prevent other defenders from zeroing in on you? I didn't emphasize that very well.

I'll probably learn first-hand anyhoo! :)

Dar Steckelberg

Dar,

Yes, that can be modelled..

In CM it is modelled by giving your tank a "hunt" command to a certain point. It will move very slowly to that point and search VERY WELL for enemy units. If it spots an enemy it will fire on it until one or other is destroyed.

Once the enemy is destroyed it will complete its "hunt" movement and then you could have ordered it to dash at top speed to the nearest cover.

I used "hunt" movement with my Panther to ensure that it onlly ever engaged one Sherman at a time as it entered Martin's killzone if you remember back that far.

It works well.

------------------

Fionn Kelly

Manager of Historical Research,

The Gamers Net - Gaming for Gamers