Crewing abandoned guns

Copper

CM is not a shoot them up game, but as close as it can be to reality. Therefore abandoned guns can not, if still usable, be used by others than its initial crew.

In reality in WWII guns, tanks and equipments were gathered by Engineers units in the case of the US forces. Just because they had to be analysed at first and troops had to be kept informed of what kind of weapons they would have to deal with. In some instances some were used again., that as been done, however, within a certain delay and in a very, very small scale.

BTW : My father running such an Engineer unit used for his unit a Kettenrad found around Carentan. That tracked vehicle with a bike wheel at the front and a small trailer at the rear was kept in a state of order by a German mechanic they were able to retain with them. They used that Kettenrad till they reached Metz and abandoned it when it broke down, having no more the POW with them.

@John Kettler. These are “souvenirs” I had with lot of pictures, but they stayed in the States. No one in the family knows now days where they are! What a pity!

CM is not a shoot them up game, but as close as it can be to reality. Therefore abandoned guns can not, if still usable, be used by others than its initial crew.

In reality in WWII guns, tanks and equipments were gathered by Engineers units in the case of the US forces. Just because they had to be analysed at first and troops had to be kept informed of what kind of weapons they would have to deal with. In some instances some were used again., that as been done, however, within a certain delay and in a very, very small scale.

BTW : My father running such an Engineer unit used for his unit a Kettenrad found around Carentan. That tracked vehicle with a bike wheel at the front and a small trailer at the rear was kept in a state of order by a German mechanic they were able to retain with them. They used that Kettenrad till they reached Metz and abandoned it when it broke down, having no more the POW with them.

@John Kettler. These are “souvenirs” I had with lot of pictures, but they stayed in the States. No one in the family knows now days where they are! What a pity!

But in reality the gun would be re-manned if the situation requires it. Given that the gun is still operational. And we are not talking about manning enemy at-guns but on your own side.

But in reality the gun would be re-manned if the situation requires it. Given that the gun is still operational. And we are not talking about manning enemy at-guns but on your own side.

I call that into doubt. How effective would random corporal #3 be at laying and firing the 57mm, for example? Was every trooper trained in the basics (like how to load the thing without losing a finger)? Would every trooper feel they could do it? If the ATG has been so badly pounded that the original crew has gone (either to the rear or to the afterlife) how motivated would an arriving infantry squad be to step into the kill sack? Did it happen? I'm sure so, and every occasion where anything good came of it would have been an MID or a medal citation. Be aware that if it is allowed in CM, it will happen in at least 50% of games with ATGs in where a crew goes south before the gun does.

Oh, and several people were talking (mostly hare-brained stuff) about manning enemy guns.

Usually the crew leaving a gun was taking with them the firing pin. That is quickly and usually easily done and you can refit it to the gun if needed.

IN CM do you mean that a team leaving its gun can not crew it again? When the gun is knocked out that is normal.

Yeah, if you "bail out" of the gun, it cant be remaned.

I wish there was a way where I could take the crew and redeploy them in a way that they could beat off a close assault maybe or let them take better cover than just huddling around the weapon as rounds really start to come in. Sure the weapon may be destroyed but at least the crew is still alive even if they just scamper off to the rear. I'd really love to have the ability though that if the crew get flanked that they could deploy in a line to face the threat and maybe fight back a bit instead of just get killed as they struggle to rotate the weapon around. Not a game breaker of course, just a nice wish I could.

I couldn’t agree more. I was moving a 75mm AT gun forward when I started taking artillery fire. The crew obviously took cover and started crawling. Because the gun was still “attached” to the crew the gun would crawl with them. So the gun acted like a solider moving unnaturally back and forth. Come on, really?! The graphics on these guns and crews needs to be re-worked as well. When I moved some Italian cannon crews to a proper firing position the guns jerked around erratically every so often. And the soldiers moving canons and AT guns look idiotic, they walk with their arms in the position of caring a rifle but nothings there. If you’ve played TOW2 then you’ll know what I’m referring to, how the gun crew’s movement looks vastly superior to CMFI. CMFI is an enormous improvement over TOW2 yet there are a few small yet significant issues that TOW2 does better. One of which is the movement of artillery pieces, this is disconcerting due to the price of CMFI and the advancement in gaming technology.