On-map indirect fire

BDW

Admittedly, this might be a RTFM situation. I can't seem to figure out how to use my on-map guns in indirect fire roles. My spotters have access to all sorts of guns on the map, but when I go to order a fire mission, the entire map is blocked out. It is really odd. The spotter has LOS but cannot order a mission, Clearly, this is "user error" and I'm not understanding how it works, or why. I probably need to RTFM, but I figured others might be having the same confusion, so decided to post the question. Alvano Anvil as axis is a great example.

* Check there is a valid C2 chain between the observer and the guns. I sometimes move the gun or mortar section commander away by accident, then wonder why I can't call those guns :rolleyes:

* check that the gun or mortar isn't too close to blocking terrain. I think if you have a mortar (or gun) tucked up tight to a tall building, the game will recognise that the round's trajectory is blocked and prevent the mission being initiated.

Fairly certain that Jon S answered the first question but I had another regarding this topic. I've noticed that certain assets, the airborne 75mm pack howitzer for instance is available both for on map direct and indirect fire missions. Obviously a nice feature. However using the Allied Priest as an example, this indirect fire feature doesn't seem to be available for on map units or other potential artillery assets such as the HMC's with the same gun as the pack. Though you can "purchase" these as off map assets. Wouldn't it be more realistic for this option to be available for the Priest for example where there direct fire role seems to have been relatively rare? Any way to get the cake and eat it too with these? Needs a later version? Possible to mod? Would be fun if while you're opponent is raining some hell fire on you you could suddenly cut that much needed barrage off at the neck. :D Thanks for any input

I believe the thinking is that for those larger systems the minimum range is generally too short to be useful in a typical CM battle.

Also, for those larger systems, there is a rather elaborate command and control structure that's required to employ them in an indirect role, all of which is missing from CM. Mortars have a broadly similar C2 structure, but it is MUCH smaller and MUCH simpler (and actually is modelled in CM with the various section and platoon HQs).