Tunisia?

No, the release version will be HTH only, because there's no AI in it. I'm a mapper and not a coder. I leave that to the coding experts.

I think El Guettar would lend itself very well to German player vs. AI, if anyone wants to code some active defensive plans for the Americans. Just open it up in the editor and have at it.

Disclaimer: To most players, this scenario may be more of "an interesting historical simulation experience" than a thrilling game. That's because it's so massive, and there's a huge area of maneuver, that it will be beyond most people's comfort level. But I just wanted to make the historical OOB on the historical map and see how the simulation played out -- both for for my own amusement while waiting for the CMBN 2.0 upgrade, and to see what CMFI was capable of. I'm very impressed. So, enjoy El Guettar for the spectacle -- then adapt the map to other scenarios that might make for a smaller and more fun games in the NA theatre. I hope to include Tempestzzz's adobe building(s) into the modpack, so it should come with everything needed to make NA scenarios that include towns and settled areas too. [edit: Ooops -- just read Tempestzz's latest post. It now appears no adobe buildings possible. So we'll have to content ourselves with NA battles that don't include human settlements.]

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haven't visited in a bit. Well Broadsword, you're certainly pushing the engine to its limits! It's making me ambitious to tackle bigger chunks of Dien Bien Phu than I originally planned.... once CMBN is bootstrapped to 2.0 of course.

One comment -- just visual really. Any way to make the horizons look a little more "off in the distance?" I keep half-wondering why there aren't TD units up in those heights shooting down. :P

@herr_oberst: My dual-core system is 4-5 years old, has only 4MB RAM, and uses a 1GB NVidia 9800 card that's a good 2 years old now. So I don't think leading-edge hardware is required. It's really CMFI and its optimized engine that makes such large scenarios able to run -- CMBN never could handle this, but probably will once it's upgraded to 2.0. However: My FPSwith El Guettar is typically in the low teens, dropping to single digits at times. So it's really pushing the limits of what my rig and the game can do. Still, I don't mind the stutter and I don't notice it much until it drops below 15 or so.

@LongfLeftFlank -- well, as they say: in the desert, visual distance perception can be deceiving :-) Don't judge from screenshots, because I used a lot of zoom to get some of the close action and it removes all the focal depth. You have to experience it in-game to really judge it. Or maybe you did boot up the scenario? I know Fuser has been playing with horizons lately, so maybe he'll come up with something even better. But the desert ones I'm using now look just fine to me. What's great about CMFI is the new mapping editor and its capability to use overlays, draw walls and fences and roads with a mouse drag, etc. Huge maps take very little time compared to the original CMBN.

@herr_oberst: My dual-core system is 4-5 years old, has only 4MB RAM, and uses a 1GB NVidia 9800 card that's a good 2 years old now.

Yeah, what kills me is that my current Mini has a whopping 256MB video ram, less than the wife's iMac even (How in the blazes did that happen? I must have had too much Lagavulin when I made those two hardware purchases). And I am fond of all the eye candy that is possible with mods.

I started working on a 4k x 4k map based on a section of the Mius River Bend, but gave up due to frequent crashes.