H2HH 2.1.1 Alpha posted to Dropbox

Does anyone still use email to play PBEM? Do you happen to use gmail?

If you do, then H2HH 2.1.1 Alpha is for you to try: it adds gmail support.

You have to turn this on explicitly in the Options menu.

Once you do that, you need to do Install->Edit and tell it your gmail address.

And, for each game where your oppo sends you turns by email, to your gmail account, you need to do Game->Edit and tell it your oppo's email address (IE the address that the turns are coming from).

It will do the rest: it will look up your gmail account for turns that your oppo sent, and pull them down into your Incoming, and it will help you compose outgoing emails to your oppo, and send them.

This is all thanks to Charles-Texas-Toast-Mac-Reese. He coded this maybe a year ago, it's taken this long to get it "deployed". I hope someone is still using email for H2H games, and can benefit from this

GaJ

Hi GaJ,

great stuff, I usually only have opponents who use dropbox, but in a current battle, my opponent only uses EMail, so I tried the EMail support.

Sending seems to work ok, but when H2HH tries to check the mailbox for new files, I always get this error:

IOError: [Errno 9] Bad file descriptor

Is there anythin I can do to make this work?

The oppo does not have to have a gmail address - H2HH looks in _your_ gmail account for messages from your oppo. So it needs to know your gmail account and your oppo's email address.

In "Application Name", you point it to the CMBN .exe (PC) or .app (Mac). That's so when you right-click, it can start the game for you. If you installed in the "default" place, this should already be set correctly.

GaJ

Generally I have been uploading stable versions to CMMODS, though I actually prefer the Dropbox system because it's easier at my end for something that changes fairly often (CMMODS is more for "static" things) and the Dropbox gives me just that small piece of contact with the users that I don't otherwise get...

GaJ