Countdown to the demo!

Scott:

I played quite a bit of EverQuest when it first came out. At first it was a nice change from wargames, and I liked the online social environment. I'm finding it very much more-of-the-same-ish now - kill, sit, kill, sit, kill, sit...

Have you played EQ as well, and how would you compare it to Asheron's Call?

I've actually started playing Team Fortress alot, especially Counter Strike. It's pretty cool, also have been playing a recent beta of Age of Wonders great game! even has a little of the strategy side in it!...sigh...I still pine for Combat Mission though..

------------------

Sgt. Rock Says " War is Hell, but games are fun "

Brian:

I haven't played EQ, but AC can definately degenerate into the sit, kill, repeat formula. The social aspect is fun, and the allegiance system helps it out. Although, you still have many players offering their allegiance to the highest bidder....There are quests, however, and some legendary objects (swords, helms, etc) that can only be won by fighting your way through obscure dungeons. Overall, a good diversion...

Still playing cc2 and cc3 campaign's against friends,took a few days off sick from work,and having abit of fun with hidden and dangerous while waiting for cc4 and CM what will come first ? hmmmmmmm

also taking abit of interest in world cup rugby Go the "All Blacks"

titan

Auckland

New Zealand

Oh also relearning my grammar,dont to upset people again mentioning no names (herr o....t) :)

Ooooohhhh Titan,

I'll no doubt be speaking to you after

Saturday

Tony,

Warwick

England

"Swing low...."

Currently playing Driver (which is pretty good) after JA2 bored me senseless.

I'm looking forward to CM's use of the term elite/crack. I'm 100% sure it won't mean "can take 4 shots to the head rather than 2".

--KeWl DoOd SpEaK MoDe oN--

What r u doing?

If u were to spend ur time well, u'd be practicing ur tactics in 1 of the CC3 series on the web. Betr L8 thn nvr. Thoz gamz rok. When you beat some newbie, be shur 2 br8 ur opponent, n say "U Suck!" alot.

Titan, this post wz 4 u... wink.gif

Egad!, I think I damaged my brain doing that one.

hehehehehehehehehe

[This message has been edited by Herr Oberst (edited 10-06-99).]

I had to go buy the board game "Empire Builder" after visiting Railfest in Altoona, PA, this weekend. Board games were my first love, and I haven't abandoned them completely! Besides, tanks or trains--they both satisfy my Metal Montrosity fetish!

Got some pix from Railfest, by the way, posted at this site for anyone else who's a train buff.

Dar Steckelberg

Dar, you're speaking my language now...

Speaking of railfans, my two boys and I dragged my wife on vacation the last two years to guess what? To ride operating steam lines of course!

Last year was a short line in Pennsylvania in Mennonite country, although I blank on the name right now, although there was a PRR railroad museum right across the road, and a hotel nearby that was formed out of old cabooses. (Strasburg Railroad - I went looking for the name and found it).

This year was a trip to Cass, WVa, for a ride behind the Shay locomotives of an old logging railroad into the mountains. The passenger cars are converted logging cars. Shays are incredible locomotives, second only to a cog rail setup for pulling power, steep grades, and tight corners. The Cass Scenic Railroad still climbs from Cass to Bald Knob, at times pulling an 11% grade, and negotiating two switchbacks to gain height without unnecessary trackage.

The operating Shay's range in size from 80 tons up to around 160 tons.

I highly recommend a visit, and staying at Snowshoe, WVa is only a 10 mile drive to Cass for the train rides.

[This message has been edited by Herr Oberst (edited 10-06-99).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>This year was a trip to Cass, WVa, for a ride behind the Shay locomotives of an old logging

railroad into the mountains. The passenger cars are converted logging cars. Shays are

incredible locomotives, second only to a cog rail setup for pulling power, steep grades, and tight

corners. The Cass Scenic Railroad still climbs from Cass to Bald Knob, at times pulling an 11%

grade, and negotiating two switchbacks to gain height without unnecessary trackage.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Heh,Herr Oberst,my dad is a huge train buff,so I ended up spending a part of every summer growing up in WV-and invariably ended up riding the Cass railroad every year.Haven't been there in years,but I would actually probably appreciate it more now.My dad has a beautiful brass model of a Shay for his model RR.

Mike

Mine is a little bit different history, although I had an Uncle that took over my grandmother's attic for a huge HO layout.

Growing up outside Pittsburg, friends and I used to routinely head back through the neighborhood to a set of cliffs that overlooked one of the steel mills. We had a clear view of the yard where you could see all types of yard locomotives hauling everything from coke and coal cars, to flats carrying pig iron still hot, and bottle cars shuttling from one building to the other glowing red from the heat.

I have a track plan in mind, and designed on the computer for a big steel mill operation. Now I just have to wait 20 years until the kids move out so I can take over their room.

smile.gif

Recently purchased Wargamer 1813 but gave up with it as it kept falling flat on it's face during the tactical game. Re-installed CC2 to give me something to do while waiting for the CM demo to become available.

Also watching the world cup at the moment but the writing's already on the wall for Scotland after last Saturday's game against S.Africa

Well

I'm going through a FPS craze right now!! I bought Half-Life (on special now with Team Fortress Classic) - and I love it! Team Fortress Classic is a real hoot! Having 24 people blowing each other away, whilst playing togther as a team is fun beyong words smile.gif

Gives me ideas for CM - but I guess until next CM version..... having more than 2 people on each side - online would be super cool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! wink.gif

BTS please consider!

CCJ

Im going to say something that will get me shot with this crowd, but the next logical step to this whole CM process after we do all the theaters everyone wants is to allow you to jump into the body of every one soldier and fight like a FPS. (remember my platoon leader simulator post a month ago?) Of course this would require virtually a whoe rewrite since I believe fire is resolved by sqauds not by individuals (or it is at least depicted as such to save on graphic horsepower).

Now before anyone freaks out and says it would imbalance play because you get one superhero wiping out the whole enemy side. Well providing that the porgram is indeed resolving combat realistically and the AI is acting intelligently you would be killed fairly quickly for action with a typical FPS run and gun mentality. (Like R6 does).

Los,

I'd wholeheartedly agree. I even once went so far as mapping out keyboard commands and screen layouts for a platoon commander game in which you play in fps mode but also issue orders by radio and voice to squad leaders and individual soldiers (obviously the radius of command for individual; soldiers is very low to simulate the lack of carrying power of your voice).

I think that would be an innovative game and something I'd love to be a part of but unfortunately I can't program at all *sigh*.. BUT if anyone can and wants to make the game I promise I'll play it (big committment huh?)

------------------

Fionn Kelly

Manager of Historical Research,

The Gamers Net - Gaming for Gamers