50mm AT Gun bug ?

noob

In a PBEM battle i am fighting, i ordered a 50mm AT Gun to area fire at a building, the gun fired six shots over the period of 60 seconds, all AP rounds, so, unless someone can offer me another explanation as to why HE rounds weren't used, i suspect this is a bug.

I did a couple of tests in one player turn based mode, and the gun fired HE both times i are targeted the building.

Prior to firing at the building in the actual PBEM battle, the gun had a target armor arc, which i removed when i fired at the building, therefore if the gun loads an AP round when a target armour arc is created, that would explain the first round being AP, but not the rest.

CMFIATgun.jpg

...the gun had a target armor arc, which i removed when i fired at the building, therefore if the gun loads an AP round when a target armour arc is created, that would explain the first round being AP, but not the rest.

AIUI, the game has no notion of what's "up the spout"; ammo type is selected when the gunner pulls the lanyard. Not that this helps explain the observed behaviour...

The only thing I can figure here is that the crew used the AP round to drill a hole in the masonry of the building, but I don't want to assume, guess, or speculate on anything here.

I think you should be able to manually select the shell type .... but perhaps that's just me. or better yet — SOP's!!

Definitely,this is not a bug,just because this Pak38 has limited HE rounds(6 rounds) but plenty of AP rounds,the TacAI fire the AP rounds to preserve the HE rounds.

I wouldn't be willing to bet on that. If the programming says this type target should preferentially get x type of round I haven't seen any behavior where the TAC AI would use a less preferential round to preserve the one it should use. Whether in this case the HE is preferential is another question. Without a save however it is a mute point, there is nothing for BF to look at.

The only thing I can figure here is that the crew used the AP round to drill a hole in the masonry of the building, but I don't want to assume, guess, or speculate on anything here.

I think you should be able to manually select the shell type .... but perhaps that's just me. or better yet — SOP's!!

If the Tac AI did use AP to drill a hole in the masonry then there is still a bug, considering there was a window in the wall, which they should of fired HE through :)

As far as the situation was concerned, i know what i wanted the gun to fire, and it didn't, so unless there is a good reason why it didn't, there is a potential problem IMO.

According to the notes from SL (Maybe GI:Anvil), in the pacific GIs used 37mm AP when shooting at bamboo bunkers because the HE wouldn't damage them but the AP would go right through. Presumably with a large number of bamboo splinters...

So my first thought is that's what's going on here.

I don't think that the target window command will be available until Market Garden.

When you say toss it out for folks to look at, would you be passing on my password ?

gonna have to but not here. W/O password they can't look at the file. Unless your opponent has access to the beta forum they won't have any ability to see. If it is a password you'd rather not give up because you use it elsewhere but are okay giving to me, I can look at the turns and see if I can't recreate the situation and send that one instead onto the progrmammers that be.

gonna have to but not here. W/O password they can't look at the file. Unless your opponent has access to the beta forum they won't have any ability to see. If it is a password you'd rather not give up because you use it elsewhere but are okay giving to me, I can look at the turns and see if I can't recreate the situation and send that one instead onto the progrmammers that be.

No problem, send it to whoever you need to, given it's now three incidents from two different crews, i would rather it be fixed than get precious over a password, so i'll change my password for future games.

I have a suspicion as to what might be going on and I think it may be a bug, though I'll leave that to the professionals. My guess at the moment is in both saves that show the AT gun firing AP at a target I would normally assume HE would be used, there is a contact icon for an armored vehicle. I am wondering if this causes the AI to fire an AP round for some reason regardless of actual target.

I will submit, but forewarning. I have no idea whether you'll get a reply on this issue. It may very well be they will find something and fix it. Whether I am allowed to pass on information on how a ticket gets answered is not something I am familiar with and I expect the answer is no. Simple reason being the answer may be something totally unrelated. I have turned in tickets on issues and seen them resolved without ever knowing what was actually the core issue. I am not a progrmammer and do not expect to be treated as such and I do know how busy those guys are. Assuming it is a bug it may show up on the list of items corrected or it might not (and still be fixed).

The only thing I can assure you of is it will be submitted. :D

I have a suspicion as to what might be going on and I think it may be a bug, though I'll leave that to the professionals. My guess at the moment is in both saves that show the AT gun firing AP at a target I would normally assume HE would be used, there is a contact icon for an armored vehicle. I am wondering if this causes the AI to fire an AP round for some reason regardless of actual target.

I will submit, but forewarning. I have no idea whether you'll get a reply on this issue. It may very well be they will find something and fix it. Whether I am allowed to pass on information on how a ticket gets answered is not something I am familiar with and I expect the answer is no. Simple reason being the answer may be something totally unrelated. I have turned in tickets on issues and seen them resolved without ever knowing what was actually the core issue. I am not a progrmammer and do not expect to be treated as such and I do know how busy those guys are. Assuming it is a bug it may show up on the list of items corrected or it might not (and still be fixed).

The only thing I can assure you of is it will be submitted. :D

Good work, all you can do is tell them what you see happen in the game, if it's a valid problem they will fix it, that's all one can ask.

Did you mention the Psw233 with HE rounds firing HEAT rounds at a building in turn 76 ?

Good work, all you can do is tell them what you see happen in the game, if it's a valid problem they will fix it, that's all one can ask.

Did you mention the Psw233 with HE rounds firing HEAT rounds at a building in turn 76 ?

Yeah I was going to send that seperately, but noticed the armor icon was also present in save 076 so I included that as well.