CM experience level question

This is the CMBN Manual description of Green, Regular and Veteran troops.

Green: draftees with little training and some combat experience or reservists

with some training and no combat experience. Green can also represent

professional soldiers whose training is substandard in comparison to another

force.

Regular: professional soldiers who went through extensive, quality training

programs, but lack combat experience. Or, Regular can represent troops

that received mediocre training that have a fair amount of combat experience.

Veteran: professional soldiers with standard military training and first hand

combat experience. Alternatively, it can be professional soldiers who have

trained to a slightly higher standard than Regulars, yet lack combat experience.

If a Regular platoon fought one battle, according to the above definition, they would be changed to Veteran, is this realistic ?, or would a Regular platoon have to fight more than one battle to become Veteran ?

Also, in the operation i am playing, the historical record said both sides troops, 3rd Canadian Inf Div and 12th SS PzDiv Jugend, were highly trained, but had no combat experience, so they should be Regular according to the above definitions, would the community agree ?

Over the course of a day or two? I doubt it.

I'd expect that kind of step-change in performance would require combat experience, yes, but also time out of the line to integrate the inevitable green replacements, train, and consolidate any lessons-learned.

Probably not realistic to have troops improve in a matter of a day or two. But, time in a CM campaign can be very elastic.

A designer could easily suppose that battles were weeks or longer apart. In terms of gameplay it would be fun to have troops change quality in later battles. Experience could get worse if you lose too many men, or better if you won with few casualties.

Did anyone else enjoy games like the SILENT HUNTER series, where the player had the opportunity to promote his men and award medals?

Probably not realistic to have troops improve in a matter of a day or two. But, time in a CM campaign can be very elastic.

A designer could easily suppose that battles were weeks or longer apart. In terms of gameplay it would be fun to have troops change quality in later battles. Experience could get worse if you lose too many men, or better if you won with few casualties.

Did anyone else enjoy games like the SILENT HUNTER series, where the player had the opportunity to promote his men and award medals?

Yes I did, from what I remember of it.

Steel Panthers WaW (free download) series is great for gaining experience and keeping track of kills / units. Loved that game, still do, just do not get around to using it much since CMx1 and CMx2 take up most of my wargame time. It totally reminded me of TOBRUK by Avalon Hill, except for the computer handling all tasks that I deplored doing when playing board games.

Now 'Critical Hit' makes an updated version called ADVANCED TOBRUK 4th edition. For those interested and might not know about this company:

http://www.criticalhit.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21_30&products_id=194

I may have to pick this up for the bookshelf, just for nostalgia / reading purposes. :D

Guess what? My post is not editable anymore... gosh darn it!1!1

You wouldn't be the first to make the mistake. You'll get a demerit, but won't have to stay after class much less be expelled. They might slap your wrist, but it is mostly just to make you are aware of the restriction and after a short bit it is expunged from your record. Yes I do speak from experience. :o