Overlay maps in CMBN

Hi all.

I´m a wargamer designer and I'm interested to make new historical maps for CMBN. The lack of overlay real maps into CMBN editor make the work a hell. Once the new CBFI is out with this feature in the editor....

Is it possible a new patch including this interesting tool for CMBN designers?.

Thanks.

"Just to confirm, we're working on a v1.11 patch for Normandy right now. Mostly done, but no ETA on when it will be out. Not too long, I think. We're also fairly far along in the Normandy Upgrade v2.0 process. Both will address Commonwealth as needed.

Steve"

Bolded the part of interest to you.

When Normandy Upgrade v2.0 comes out you will have overlays so it's worth waiting!

For certain. I tried to create a map in CMBN fro a real place. Several frustrating hours with little to show for it later - I gave up. I am more than half way through a map in CMFI (if my PBEM partners would just slow down a bit:-). I have spent many hours - most of which were actually enjoyable. I have a nice looking map with the basic elevations done and the farms and forest for about half. So, still lost of work to do but I find my self looking forward to it.

I would defiantly wait for 2.0 to arrive for CMBN.

For certain. I tried to create a map in CMBN fro a real place. Several frustrating hours with little to show for it later - I gave up. I am more than half way through a map in CMFI (if my PBEM partners would just slow down a bit:-). I have spent many hours - most of which were actually enjoyable. I have a nice looking map with the basic elevations done and the farms and forest for about half. So, still lost of work to do but I find my self looking forward to it.

I would defiantly wait for 2.0 to arrive for CMBN.

I had the same experience with trying to make a map for CMBN. Gave up after many long hours. Got some ideas for battles I'd like to try on certain terrain. Am waiting with eager anticipation for the 2.0 upgrade for CMBN.

Ok, ok, we (designer community) are bored and tired with the lack of funcionality of map editor in CM compares with the major possibilities of digital maps and aerial photo currently in the net. Despite this limitation many players continue making maps and scns...time and effort lost, included develop tools to make easy the work.

I would like the CM programmers make something else to leave us paste an overlay map in the map editors. Perhaps they will have to work in the "definitive design weapon" to make accurate and realistic maps. This is can do the game the difference.

We need it!!!!!!!!! :)

Just an oppinion.

Chema

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

This is not working for me :confused:

I have created a 1 km x 1 km bitmap and save it in my Z folder where CMBN is located. I opened the editor, clicked on "Map", enlarged the map to 1008 x 1008 and saw... nothing.

I rtfm and noted that I had to name the file "special editor overlay" (without the quotes), renamed the file as above, restarted CMBN, opened the editor, loaded the scenario and saw... nothing, except the base map. Over on the right edge, there is a note saying that the O key will toggle the special editor overlay, but multiple taps on the O key did... nothing.

Any ideas what I might be doing incorrectly?

All sorted -

You saved the bmp with the alpha channels option ticked - I saved as a copy instead and it works fine. I've emailed the working file back to you, which hopefully will work without issue.

P

Thanks, Pete. I just deleted the alpha channel completely. I never even saw a check box for the alpha channel option; it must be set as a preference someplace in PS.

All is well, thanks again!