The Force Preservation Campaign

Did the CW forces not lead with tanks in some of those operations near Caen (Epsom maybe?)?

I'd have to go back and check on Epsom, but Goodwood certainly. The hope was that the aerial bombardment would sort out whatever AT assets the Germans had and that the tanks could out-duel whatever was left and then shoot the infantry onto the objectives. For the first hour or two it actually kind of worked that way. Then the Germans began to pull their defenses back together, due largely to a lack of followup artillery support that could reach the targets, and they began to put the armor out of commission in large numbers.

Again, this makes my point that without support from the other arms, by this point in the war the proliferation of AT assets of all kinds meant that the tanks simply were no longer as free to romp around the battlefield as they had been at the start of the war.

MIchael

I'd have to go back and check on Epsom, but Goodwood certainly. The hope was that the aerial bombardment would sort out whatever AT assets the Germans had and that the tanks could out-duel whatever was left and then shoot the infantry onto the objectives.

Also, the Brits were running low on infantry.

re the very first post, I was confused until I realized that the scenarios described are actually #2 and #3.

I restarted the campaign and am being a lot more careful with better results. In scenario #3 (capturing the two OBS) I found that I didn't even need to use one of the pioneer and the recon platoons at all. The tanks and arty were enuff.

Am about to start #4 (described as #3 above). So, we'll see...

• 5 months later...