Dead enemy tank KOs my HT...

It doesn't even have to be burning ...

In a game a couple of months ago, I had a Stuart which had KO'd an opposing Stug.

But, it was crewed by muppets - he drives up to the abandoned Stug (within a couple of metres), seeing no other immediate target, he lets go with a round into the side

- just so the enemy can't recover it, y'know ;)

Stug erupts in a massive explosion, panicking the Stuart for the next turn :eek:

GreenAsJade,

When I last played CMBN, my Shermans came under deadly antitank fire. It got so bad, that in desperation, I placed my only live Sherman in sector partially behind a Ronson version. In this way, I was able to beat down a lot of German infantry positions, without losing that precious tank. In light of your experience, though, I may have to rethink that tactic.

Regards,

John Kettler

You received what you deserved. Should know better by now.

Oh wait a minute I have a stug in a game right now hiding between two burning wrecks. Great concealment and cover.

But I do have one thing going for me. I was smart enough to have waited until they had a major explosion, I have not seen multi cook offs once there is a main one. But I am not sure about that.

has anyone tried to find out how many times rounds might go off in a burning tank in the game???

You received what you deserved. Should know better by now.

Oh wait a minute I have a stug in a game right now hiding between two burning wrecks. Great concealment and cover.

But I do have one thing going for me. I was smart enough to have waited until they had a major explosion, I have not seen multi cook offs once there is a main one. But I am not sure about that.

has anyone tried to find out how many times rounds might go off in a burning tank in the game???

I think that would be never... until of course you pull a StuG between two in which case they will both cook off at exactly the same time.

I don't know how many times, but they definitely can cook up multiple times - possibly for the entire length of the scenario.

Yep...I had a Sherman give off about ten explosions throughout a scenario about a month ago. Kept driving me crazy thinking I was being mortared. And then I have seen them where they never cook off...moral of this story...stay the hell away from burning tanks!

Mord.

It was clearly an explosion caused by on board ammo etc "cooking off" as happens in real life. That halftrack got too close the burning tank and paid the price being caught in one of the secondary explosions.How often secondary explosions may occur might depend on the amount opf ammo still on board the burnig tank.Moral of the story is don't get too close to burning AFVs or you run the risk of a "sympathetic" explosion as the posterfound out.

(just to be clear, I knew the reason... and I've seen it kill before. I've never had a dumb vehicle drive right up to a burning tank like that before though! I could have sworn I plotted a move to pass it by, maybe the muppet driver was thinking "ooo - a Shermie, at last I get to see one close up!")

I think that would be never... until of course you pull a StuG between two in which case they will both cook off at exactly the same time.

That is too True to be funny ;)

I like the spot too much to give it up, even though the other two tanks are mine also which are now giving me such great concealment. I will continue to run the risk just so I can defy the laws of safety.

It would be nice to know what odds I am up against. But In general, I know after a huge explosion. They seem pretty mellow after that. I have ran infantry close after they have done that and have not been burned yet. But risking a Stug is alot pricier.

• 2 weeks later...
Cool! This thread gave me the idea of sticking a burning tank into my Makin scenario setup so that it will simulate the hazard of continuing explosions at a fuel dump previously set afire by US air strikes.

Do burning tanks that are designated as such by the scen designer, rather than through battle damage in game, actually experience ammo cookoff? I don't think I've ever seen this happen.

A few months back I played a newer player in a PBEM of CMSF. It was a pretty big mechanized scenario and he was playing NATO, with his forces starting behind a big ridge.

Anyway, on the second turn one of my ATGM teams spots a Wiesel (small German AFV equipped with a TOW launcher) peeking over the ridge and pops it. There were a couple of explosions but I couldn't see anything else, then a few more explosions 10-15 seconds later. The next day I got an email ranting about how I was a cheater and hacking the game, yadda yadda. Turns out he had parked about 3 platoons worth of AFVs within 100m of each other, including several carrying TOW missiles. He lost something like 7-8 vehicles with the rest damaged and panicked from a chain reaction started by that one ATGM!

Moral of the story, things can and will go BOOM, so spread your units out.