CM1 Freeze

I've occasionally got this error message in the last few months:

igxprd32 display driver has stopped working normally

at which point CMBB or CMAK has already crashed.

So far, I've just restarted my comp, and CM1 runs again fine.

Today I got it again, and no amount of restarting is able to fix the problem - CMBB or CMAK freezes as soon as I attempt to view the 3D map, and thence to the Blue Screen of Death, which explains that the graphics driver has got itself into an infinite loop.

Natch, I went online and read bulletin boards - this is apparently a common problem caused by a flaw in the intel chipsets that has not yet been fixed.

So far, I have:

(1) Uninstalled the Driver, and installed the latest Driver.

(2) Uninstalled that Driver, and installed an older version of the Driver from 2007.

No result. Cannot play CM1.

Anyone got any ideas?

Can the CM1 games prefs be tweaked somehow so as to change the way the graphics driver interacts with CM1's 3D graphics?

Video plays just fine (via VLC).

I'm running Windows XP, Service Pack 3.

The file apparently at fault is igxprd32.dll

Chipset is Q965/963.

Intel Pentium D CPU 2.80 GHz

0.99 GHz of RAM

(reconditioned HP Compaq Desktop)

Any assistance or ideas appreciated - PBEMS on hold.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry, I didn't see this until now.

The file you were listing 'igxprd32.dll' is one of the main video drivers for the Intel integrated graphics. It was definitely strange that it stopped working when the same setup was working fine before. I can only guess that it may have been a hardware problem with the integrated graphics, though those are pretty rare. Sometimes it could be the memory in the system (since integrated graphics use the system memory for graphics purposes). However questionable system memory probably would have caused other errors with the system.

In the end it became very likely that it was in fact the on-board video adapter slowly crapping out.

Eventually, playing video - not just 3D games like CMBB - was causing the same crash to the BSOD.

Real problem emerged when I wanted to put an actual vid card in to do the job of the failing adapter - the box of my comp (HP Compaq dc7700U) doesn't have enough room for even a SFF vid card!

Trash time!

Replaced cheap reconditioned comp with another cheap reconditioned comp - another HP Compaq desktop, but this time in a box big enough for upgrades.

Back to the game!

• 4 weeks later...

I'm having a similar sort of problem.

On Windows 7 64-bit, with an Nvidia 520, the computer totally freezes at the point where it should begin loading the 3d map. After all the parameters and options are set, I get a black screen with a mobile cursor, but no loading icon. After a few seconds, the cursor freezes and it is impossible to return to desktop by Ctrl-Alt-Del, Alt-Tab, or the Windows key. The longest I've permitted this state to persist before a hard shutdown is 10 minutes, but I see little reason to believe that there would be any change within any period of time.

Advice? If the problem persists, I could always just clone my old XP HDD and play off a partition, but that will take a bit of time.

I'm not sure how much of a difference it may make, but you may want to update your DirectX 9.0c files to make sure you have the latest:

Microsoft DirectX 9.0c web updater

Next, you may want to update your video card driver. CMAK doesn't really need the latest, but this is to make sure that you have a fully functioning Nvidia driver:

Nvidia 306.23 Windows 7 64-bit driver

When you run this select 'custom' and make sure to check the box for a 'clean installation'. The above driver is for 'desktop' computers. If your computer is a laptop, then this driver likely won't work.