SUPPORTED OPERATING SYSTEMS

SS,

Now that Win2000 is officially released, I can say it IS compatible with CM. The others I can only guess. Win NT with directx might be able to, Linux I would tend to doubt.

Tim Orosz, Raider

Combat Mission Raider Team

Wild Bill's Raiders

The Gamers Net: http://www.thegamers.net

Rune:

Ummmm... are you saying that you have actually tried CM on Windows 2000 or the latest Beta?

From everything I have read to date, Windows 2000 is the latest NT (nee NT5). The update for Windows 98- known as Windows Millenium will not be on the shelves until maybe second or third quarter 2000.

I would be interested if 2000 supports games better than NT4 does.

Paul

NT4 basically isn't chasing DirectX revisions, MS is keeping that bit of fun for Win98/2K. CM will run under Win95, Win98, and Win2K.

NT4 won't do it, and IMHO Win2K isn't stable enough for me to adopt as THE OS yet. Through my MSDN Universal Subscription, I check out each Beta candidate for a while at home, then redo my boot drive and go bsck to a split Win98/NT system.

The thing that really gets my goat is that Win2K screws with the boot partition. You can't install NT4 after a Win2K install without serious, serious monkeying around with your boot drive at low level. I find it easier to just FDISK the thing, and reload my system.

Oh, and as for Linux, I'm not sure if anyone has written the drivers for all the video cards out there. Linux is still working on mainstream drivers, etc. NASA uses alot of Linux machines, and are up front with drivers they have written, etc for general consumption. I got my network card drivers for Linux from a NASA site, I'll have to scrounge for the url.

[This message has been edited by Herr Oberst (edited 12-27-99).]

Herr Oberst is correct. I did try with NT 4.0 and it will not work. Microsoft will not make it compatible with newer directx. I HAVE run the latest beta on top of Win2000 without any problem. I know about Millennium, NDA doesn't allow me to say more. smile.gif

Mac OS's someone put down, sorry, Mac certified but haven't owned one in a while.

Tim Orosz, Raider

Combat Mission Raider Team

Wild Bill's Raiders

The Gamers Net: http://www.thegamers.net