Which scenarios are H2H?

I just chose a scenario, sent it to my oppo (without seeing the briefing, obviously, because you don't get to see the briefing till after you send the oppo the password and they set up).

Then I get the setup back and lo... the designer's notes mention "best played vs AI".

Damn.

Any chance of a list of which scenarios are intented for H2H?

Thanks,

GaJ

• 2 weeks later...

Alvano Anvil: TOTALLY NOT H2H.

This scenario is "recommended Allies vs AI". Is the AI really that bad? It seems to me that with all the equipment that the Axis are given as defender, the player could just "hit go" every turn and still win!

The Allied briefing doesn't make this adequately clear. It should say "don't waste your time setting this up for H2H play".

GaJ

More to GAJ's point, the battle type - H2H, Axis vs AI, etc. - should be REQUIRED in the initial battle description. It's a pain the the ass to download, start & sift through scenarios just to find out they're not H2H appropriate.

+1 to that! .... to ensure that this happens in a standardized fashion, maybe it could be fixed with a hard-coded template and pull-down menu?? Therefore scenario designers would have to select something .....

• 5 weeks later...
Alvano Anvil: TOTALLY NOT H2H.

This scenario is "recommended Allies vs AI". Is the AI really that bad? It seems to me that with all the equipment that the Axis are given as defender, the player could just "hit go" every turn and still win!

The Allied briefing doesn't make this adequately clear. It should say "don't waste your time setting this up for H2H play".

GaJ

The AI is not exactly the sole defender. There are two forces for the AI. An attacking AI force. A defending AI force. Neither supports the other. Once the AI finishes its attack, the human player is free to commence his counter to take objectives. Thats why it appears there is so much equip. Of course you are right, a statement in the title indicating Allied Only would have saved the guess work.

Hot Mustard

Started playing this H2H with a friend, discovered that ( I assume ) it's meant to be Axis vs AI only.

SPOILER ALERT !

There doesn't seem to be much ( anything ? ) the Allied player can do to stop the Axis juggernaut.

We abandoned after about 35 minutes game time and the Axis was still due 2 reinforcements :eek: They wouldn't have been needed.

Actually, remove the tanks from the equation and it might be an interesting tactical problem for the Axis commander. Might be worth trying that.

Hot Mustard

Started playing this H2H with a friend, discovered that ( I assume ) it's meant to be Axis vs AI only.

SPOILER ALERT !

There doesn't seem to be much ( anything ? ) the Allied player can do to stop the Axis juggernaut.

We abandoned after about 35 minutes game time and the Axis was still due 2 reinforcements :eek: They wouldn't have been needed.

Actually, remove the tanks from the equation and it might be an interesting tactical problem for the Axis commander. Might be worth trying that.

The victory conditions are heavily slanted to the US side, so while the US gets pummeled, it's supposed to be more difficult to gain points as the axis. So yeah, the battle will not play out in a way that is equal, but hopefully that is compensated for with the victory conditions. Out of curiousity, when you hit cease fire what was the score in the game? And no, it's not meant to be played as Axis vs the AI only. The victory conditions make it playable head to head - the superior player would probably want to take the US side. There is also a full Axis AI plan if someone should want to play as Allies vs the AI. There are 1000 worth of variable points that are easy for the US to get and hard(er) for the Axis to get (a 2000 point swing). The casualty points the US can gain are front loaded onto the first German infantry battalion (it's worth three times as much as the second battalion). It's not just about how the battle plays out but how the points are scored.

The US player also has to be talented enough to conduct a fighting withdrawal. If the US player just sticks his jaw out and lets the Tigers pummel it then he's going to have a tough time of it.

The victory conditions are heavily slanted to the US side, so while the US gets pummeled, it's supposed to be more difficult to gain points as the axis. So yeah, the battle will not play out in a way that is equal, but hopefully that is compensated for with the victory conditions. Out of curiousity, when you hit cease fire what was the score in the game? And no, it's not meant to be played as Axis vs the AI only. The victory conditions make it playable head to head - the superior player would probably want to take the US side. ...

Ah, didn't get that from the briefing.

It's a good very comprehensive briefing, kudo's to the scenario designer, but perhaps needs a line directing the player(s) to pay close attention to the Victory Conditions.

It's funny because I read all of it, but failed to notice that specific aspect. Thanks for clarifying. :)

We didn't ceasefire, we just stopped. Clearly we were both expecting some sort of straightforward Attack/Defend and neither of us noticed the different Victory Conditions.

Ah, didn't get that from the briefing.

It's a good very comprehensive briefing, kudo's to the scenario designer, but perhaps needs a line directing the player(s) to pay close attention to the Victory Conditions.

It's funny because I read all of it, but failed to notice that specific aspect. Thanks for clarifying. :)

We didn't ceasefire, we just stopped. Clearly we were both expecting some sort of straightforward Attack/Defend and neither of us noticed the different Victory Conditions.

That's always a tough call because some players like less information and some like more so it's a bit of a balancing act. The US conditions are spelled out fairly well on the US tac map and OP map but many players probably just skip through a lot of that 'yeah yeah, when does the shooting start'. The US briefing also tells the US player not to worry about terrain and to withdraw if enemy firepower becomes too heavy. The US has no terrain victory points so they can hide anywhere on the map that they want, while the German has two terrain objectives so their direction of attack can be predicted with some level of certainty. The terrain is a bit rolling too so the American should be able to get off some Bazooka shots and set up some deadly ambushes on reverse slope defensive positions. The 57mm can definitely take out a Tiger as well. If your opponent threw in the towel at the thirty minute mark then I'm guessing he / she didn't follow the briefing advice.

Even with the victory condition tilt, it's still a tough game as the US and that player will probably still have to take more casualties than most average players are probably willing to accept and continue playing. If you had Cease Fired rather than just stopping then it probably would have read as a Total US Victory or something along those lines (they also get a victory point bonus)

The AI is not exactly the sole defender. There are two forces for the AI. An attacking AI force. A defending AI force. Neither supports the other. Once the AI finishes its attack, the human player is free to commence his counter to take objectives. Thats why it appears there is so much equip. Of course you are right, a statement in the title indicating Allied Only would have saved the guess work.

I can see that this is the case, but this makes it even _more_ not H2H.

Because the human defender simply declines to make the attack, saves all that gear for defense, and completely chews up the attacker, who can't move without being pounded.

any more?

I've been adding whatever I've played here: http://combatmission.wikia.com/wiki/H2H_Scenarios

GaJ