CM 2.0 Ripoff - wrong payment strategy

I can remember one game I was playing where a RPG located on an upper floor wailed a squad of Marines I had running up the street...took out about half of them. Little punk came out of nowhere! The setting was definitely lethal and did not reward stupidity with anything other than death.

I never found it too easy.

Mord.

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I must admit although I enjoy playing against another human I play way more against the AI. Against the AI I enjoy the whole gaming experience with no real thought to winning or losing just enjoying doing it at at my own convenience and playing for as long or as little at one sitting as I want/can manage/allowed!

• 5 weeks later...

Big thread here but I just wanted to chime in and ask a question. Is the dev team growing at all? I agree that this is a top notch game and the replay value is awesome but at some point people are going to want better features. Not sure how much money the battlefront people have made from all the games they released but at some point you would think they'd invest that into better tools, more people, better engines, etc instead of trying to model every possible military from around the world. I think this caters to the die hard military guys who get a kick out of seeing their favorite tank in game. I have no idea what all the in game equipment is nor do I know a whole lot of the history. I am a simulation buff so lets get to simulating better things and give the players more ability.. Once you've played one, haven't you kind of played them all?

I was actually thinking of buying the Normandy game but its not really clear how much it differs and that's been sort of making me hesitant to pull the trigger. At the end of the day if the textures, models and weapons are different then I think that maybe this approach is alienating potential customers. I dont know. Like I said, I only own CM:FI but I'd like to see planes in the game. If one game had planes and another one didn't I'd go straight out and buy it but I dont think that's the case.

Big thread here but I just wanted to chime in and ask a question. Is the dev team growing at all? I agree that this is a top notch game and the replay value is awesome but at some point people are going to want better features. Not sure how much money the battlefront people have made from all the games they released but at some point you would think they'd invest that into better tools, more people, better engines, etc instead of trying to model every possible military from around the world. Once you've played one, haven't you kind of played them all? I think this caters to the die hard military guys who get a kick out of seeing their favorite tank in game. I have no idea what everything is called and I'm not really a military buff. I am a simulation buff so lets get to simulating better things.

Yes it has grown, but slowly. It used to be just one programmer, what you are seeing now is a huge jump in development and product release.

What you want may not be the same as what someone else wants...in fact if it came down to it I doubt any two of us wants exactly the same thing. :) As it is though we are getting a little more of everything. Patience my friend.

Big thread here but I just wanted to chime in and ask a question. Is the dev team growing at all?

It's grown from 2 people to 6 in the past 12 years, most recently when they hired a second programer 2010.

Not sure how much money the battlefront people have made from all the games they released but at some point you would think they'd invest that into better tools, more people, better engines, etc instead of trying to model every possible military from around the world.

CM 2.0 is an engine upgrade.

I was actually thinking of buying the Normandy game but its not really clear how much it differs and that's been sort of making me hesitant to pull the trigger. At the end of the day if the textures, models and weapons are different then I think that maybe this approach is alienating potential customers. I dont know. Like I said, I only own CM:FI but I'd like to see planes in the game. If one game had planes and another one didn't I'd go straight out and buy it but I dont think that's the case.

CM:FI has a few features now that CMBN lacks because it is a more recent version of the engine. But those improvements are going to be back-ported to CMBN in a couple of months.

BTW, doesn't CMFI already have planes? What it's lacking is stuff that can shoot back at the planes.

Big thread here but I just wanted to chime in and ask a question. Is the dev team growing at all? I agree that this is a top notch game and the replay value is awesome but at some point people are going to want better features. Not sure how much money the battlefront people have made from all the games they released but at some point you would think they'd invest that into better tools, more people, better engines, etc

They've grown at the right rate...the smart rate. How many companies end up making a game and then rush out and hire a bunch of people when they taste success...who a year or two later are unemployed and the company no longer in business? The annals of wargaming are heaped with the ashes of once great companies...SSI, Microprose, Talonsoft, etc. BFC has outlived many who dwarfed them by comparison...because they are sly and savvy enough to know when to walk.

The engine is coming along nicely and in time I expect to see lots of cool stuff...and the great thing is it won't be just for the latest greatest title it'll be passed on to all. That's better than anything anyone else is offering.

instead of trying to model every possible military from around the world. I think this caters to the die hard military guys who get a kick out of seeing their favorite tank in game. I have no idea what all the in game equipment is nor do I know a whole lot of the history. I am a simulation buff so lets get to simulating better things and give the players more ability.. Once you've played one, haven't you kind of played them all?

So, what they should just give us German Heer and US Army? Fighting the whole of WWII? C'mon man! That's boring!

I completely disagree with you on this point. One of the major attractions of CM is learning about new equipment and forces...and history is the entire point for a lot of us. Accuracy in modeling and the history behind the conflict or gear being used. LOL how can they simulate something better if you haven't taken the time to learn about what they are simulating to begin with? Hence the huge multi-page debates that go on here about various kit and soldiering....and the hundreds of hours that modders and scenario designers put into their creations.

And no, different vehicles and tanks and such are not the same as the next. Each vehicle and infantry formation has its pros and cons. Even the vanilla Sherman has various differences within its own family. look at an Easy 8 or Firefly compared to a M4 standard. The same could be said about gray hounds or a T30...which are as different to each other as a Panther to a Wespe. LOL. Play the Italians for a couple games and you'll see how completely jacked up they are compared to other Axis formations...and Allies as well.

Anyway, the point being, that different vehicles and weapons, different nations and their equipment, from modern to WWII, are extremely interesting and can really teach you a lot...from tactics and doctrine up to introducing you to exotic stuff you might otherwise never have encountered. It's awesome and something BFC does, that hardly any other wargame company has ever done. LOL if it was up to me they would simulate as many nations as possible with ALL their gear!

LOL I guess I just backed up Sburke's statement. We are all different.

Mord.

About the growth stuff. It never ceases to amaze me how frequently this comes up. Probably because most people have never created and successfully run their own businesses :D We are in a niche within a niche within a cut throat "what have you done for me in the last 5 minutes" industry. The fact we're growing at all is rather unusual. Going out of business is the norm.

We credit our survival to basically three broad concepts:

1. Understanding limits, be it our audience or our development budget.

2. Reinvesting in our products instead of endlessly milking the same thing year after year.

3. Making a top notch product that consistently raises the bar and sets new standards despite having no particular need to do to nearly zero competition.

It's a strategy that has kept us moving steadily forward for 13 years. I don't know if we have it in us to do this for another 13, but who knows :)

Steve

One of the major attractions of CM is learning about new equipment and forces...

I wholehartedly agree.

And since Steve seems to read this thread i want to take the chance and place the wish for an empty unit-data window, that can be filled from modders with all the cool numbers we know from CMx1.

Gee, Mord finally got something right. I'm amazed. I may need a drink. Thanks, Mord.

:D

Michael

It happens...btw Vodka and Ensure must taste horrible!

I wholehartedly agree.

Yeah, It's like how many companies have ever simulated modern Dutch forces, or Canadian and German? Or given us Romanians and Hungarians. It all interests and fascinates me. I imagine, a lot of us. The more toys the better!

My brother is one of those people that would only play American forces in CMBO and wasn't interested in any other armies. It boggled my mind that even though didn't want to play them he wasn't even interested in learning their make up and equipment. He didn't even want to look at CMBB because there were no Americans. CMBB made me love the East Front and turned me on to a ton of vehicles and stuff I'd never heard of.

Mord.

They've grown at the right rate...the smart rate. How many companies end up making a game and then rush out and hire a bunch of people when they taste success...who a year or two later are unemployed and the company no longer in business? The annals of wargaming are heaped with the ashes of once great companies...SSI, Microprose, Talonsoft, etc. BFC has outlived many who dwarfed them by comparison...because they are sly and savvy enough to know when to walk.

The engine is coming along nicely and in time I expect to see lots of cool stuff...and the great thing is it won't be just for the latest greatest title it'll be passed on to all. That's better than anything anyone else is offering.

So, what they should just give us German Heer and US Army? Fighting the whole of WWII? C'mon man! That's boring!

I completely disagree with you on this point. One of the major attractions of CM is learning about new equipment and forces...and history is the entire point for a lot of us. Accuracy in modeling and the history behind the conflict or gear being used. LOL how can they simulate something better if you haven't taken the time to learn about what they are simulating to begin with? Hence the huge multi-page debates that go on here about various kit and soldiering....and the hundreds of hours that modders and scenario designers put into their creations.

And no, different vehicles and tanks and such are not the same as the next. Each vehicle and infantry formation has its pros and cons. Even the vanilla Sherman has various differences within its own family. look at an Easy 8 or Firefly compared to a M4 standard. The same could be said about gray hounds or a T30...which are as different to each other as a Panther to a Wespe. LOL. Play the Italians for a couple games and you'll see how completely jacked up they are compared to other Axis formations...and Allies as well.

Anyway, the point being, that different vehicles and weapons, different nations and their equipment, from modern to WWII, are extremely interesting and can really teach you a lot...from tactics and doctrine up to introducing you to exotic stuff you might otherwise never have encountered. It's awesome and something BFC does, that hardly any other wargame company has ever done. LOL if it was up to me they would simulate as many nations as possible with ALL their gear!

LOL I guess I just backed up Sburke's statement. We are all different.

Mord.

Damn Mord that was beautiful-stifles back a tear-