multi-core support.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One way to think of it is a commute to work through cross town traffic. If you need to get 4 people to work on time before a job can be started, having them in 4 different cars does nothing to help out because you still have to wait until the slowest one arrives.

Where cores help out is when you're trying to get more people to work than can comfortably fit in whatever one vehicle you have handy. For some they might have a minivan that can hold 8. For others they might have a car which can hold 4. Some still have a moped :) If the job requires 8 guys to show up all at once, and you have a car that holds 4, then you've got to cram them in. Cramming works but it comes with compromises, which in this analogy's case is a decline in comfort and extra features (can't work on laptops during the commute when someone is sitting on your lap or safely drink coffee when there's elbows all over the place). In that case, if possible, you can take the 2 or 3 fattest and/or worst personality workers out of the car and put them into a second one. At that point, and only at that point, does it produce an advantage to have multiple vehicles. But then you have two spend resources to get the second car, more to maintain it, more to fuel it, double your chances of something going wrong along the way, and (worse) you still can't get the job started until all the workers arrive. Which means you have to coordinate the two cars to leave and arrive pretty much according to a single schedule. Anybody who have done carpools or commute significant distances cross town know how likely that is to happen :D

Yup, the customer perception that 4x Cores = 4x Speed is just wrong.

Steve

Well, I have one machine with SIX cores (thppt to you!) and I use it for my CM fix. Yeah, "six for the fix", baby. I run SIX separate instances of CM. I load the same savegame into each. I watch each of SIX replays. Whichever outcome I like best, I save. That's the file I load as a savegame for the NEXT turn. I've found that my play seems to've improved by...wait for it...SIX times!

So, multi-core DOES improve your CM experience.

;)

Ken "six tongues in cheek"

• 9 years later...