Collection Q to Steve

Guest Big Time Software

First of all, it AIN'T easy smile.gif Even if you are able to purchase one, it is hard to find a place to shoot it. Very hard.

Most states have huge restrictions placed on firearms in general, Class Three weapons (full auto) are even more of a problem in some states.

To purchase a weapon you need to pay the Gov't $200 some dollars for the privilege to make the purchase. Then they have to do background checks and all sorts of other things before you get the thumbs up. This can take a couple of weeks, or more than a year. Nobody can say... I think this time delay goes away if you hold an FFL, but don't even ask about getting one of those smile.gif

Then the weapon you purchased sits with an authorized FFL holder (dealer most likely) until the BATF gives you the thumbs up. Then, and only then, do you legally own your gun. Like I said, this can take a while...

Oh, and did I mention that full auto weapon prices have gone sky high since all that "Assaultrifle" legislation that has gone on at state and Federal levels? Yup! An HK MP5 (like your email address smile.gif) goes for around $5-$8,000 depending on the goodies it comes with! WWII weapons are around the same price range and up. For example, there is an HMG42 (not sure what optics it has) with lots of goodies that I would *love* to own, but at $12,000 it is a *little* out of my price range. To put it into perspective, you can get a real halftrack for that kind of money.

So it may be a fun fantasy to have, but most people won't want to go through the hassle and expense just to shoot it every once and a while (say two or three times a year). I'm willing to be one of those fools who goes the extra mile (when I can afford it!)

Steve

P.S. You can find much of this stuff on the web without much trouble.

As I understand it it is MUCH easier to buy such weapons if you are already or have been in the military.

One person I know (In gun-loving Texas) has a Stg 44 Mg34 and about 4 or five more automatic WW2 German weapons PLUS about a half dozen more modern autos..

Of course, he's in the military which made it easy.

P.s. The Stg 44 is , I think , his favourite German auto too.

Unfortunately what Steve said is all too true. It's a shame that a law-abiding person

has to jump through government hoops just to

exercise a right, but that's the way it is right now. As far as being in the military,

that doesn't particularly make it easier to

get a full auto weapon. It would, however,

probably speed up the background check a bit.

But that's about all.

The only other real variable is where you

live, some states hassle you a lot more than others when you go to buy one. And some

don't allow you to own one at all (which they have no real authority to do), which is very

sad for those people that live in those states. Just give the NRA a call, they should be able to direct you to a list of states where you can own full auto weapons.

If you are in one of those states where you can own one, you should be all set. Assuming

you have no felonies on your record. If you live in a state where you can't get one, you can just give up, try to get the state law changed or move to state where you can own one. Hope this helps you. smile.gif

I have seen an MG42 in action, very devastating. Trust me, you don't want caught in the sights of one. smile.gif

Lee

Well, at least in the States you have a chance to own one. In Germany we can choose from a lot of nice looking models, but they're just that - models. No chance whatsoever for an automatic weapon and even pistols are a no-no unless you have a very good reason to own one (when you're a politician for example)...

As to the MG42 - I fired the modern version of the MG42. It's called the MG3 and is still in use in todays German army with slight modifications to the original WWII model. Yes, it IS devastating - during shooting practice once when we had too much ammo because one company didnt show up, I've cut a whole stack of trees within a couple of minutes! But this thingie also has a lot of punch in it - lying prone without anything to put your feet against, I moved several inch backwards after ever burst...!

Yes, they have slowed down the rate on

the MG3. I've seen MG15's as well, the

sound is just incredible, it really does

sound like a giant sheet of burlap being

rent down the middle, just like the G.I.'s

described it. There's nothing else quite

like one of those fine german guns for

immediate overwhelming firepower. smile.gif

Lee