Map size restrictions

Hi there,

I've lately encountered a pretty annoying map editor restriction. The maximum mapsize possible is 4000x4000m which is totally fine. But it is very odly defined, for it does not consider only the absolute size (which would be totally sufficient) but also takes into account some sort of central point of the map which is always the same.

When you load a new map it is 320x320m in size, with said central point already in the middle of that. From there on you can only expand the map by 1840m in every direction! This is very annoying.

I've been working on (accurate) map depicting the area north of Caen, that is Abbey d' Ardennes, Cussy, Saint-Contest, Franqueville, Authie and Buron.

It will be about 3.5 by 3 km in size. I started (unaware of said restriction) with Abbey d' Ardennes, which is at the East end of the map, and kept expanding it to West untill I reached the maximum expansion. I've barely reached the Western end of Franqueville with that. The Hameau de Saint-Louet and Gruchy will not be depictable anymore (note: The map as of now is only 2352m wide, far from 4000m).

I really hope this will get looked at and maybe patched or upgraded. The editor itself could need some upgrades, as well. IMHO it needs a lot more flexibility.

I was wondering if I could fix this myself with maybe a text or Hexeditor, finding that "central point" and shifting it to the West or so, but I'm not profound enough with these issues.

A copy and paste function would solve your problem, and I believe it's been requested a number of times already. When I first started to explore the map editor, I noticed how the map could be expanded in four different directions, unlike CMx1 if I remember correctly. The good thing about this approach, I realised, is that it would allow you to take an existing large map and create a smaller map from a selected portion of it; reduce size as desired and save. But the downside is that with the maximum size of 4000m obtainable only it you start from one side or corner, you need to be careful where you start - as you have found out. I can sympathise with your situation; it must be very frustrating.

I don't think there's any way to avoid having to reproduce your work the hard way, although if you take screenshots of the current map and print them out, it shouldn't take you as long to reproduce it as it did to create it the first time.

Holdit

Hi

CM1 did have the expand and contract a map in any direction option but it needed a SHIFT key press to do it the opposite way to default (which I think was north and east).

Thanks for letting me know about the limitations in expansion (can anyone else confirm, please?) as I frequently start with a small section of map which requires great detail so as to reduce loading times, then expand to the full battle map later.

The solution to this problem has existed for months now. Go to the Repository and download the HTML Mapping Tool. Also search for and read the threads about it on the forum.

In essence, you use the tool to make your map in 400m by 400m sections. Then the tool automatically draws them in the CMBN map editor, anywhere within the 4000m x 4000m box you want them to go.

So, for example, that section with the Abbey d'Ardennes in it can be placed at the East end of the map, or the middle, or in a spot 3 sections from the top and 5 sections from the left.

But unfortunately, the work you already did in the editor can't be moved.

One consolation is that redrawing maps or sections of maps within CMBN will be MUCH easier and faster with CMBN 2.0, because we'll have the ability to trace our map designs using a graphic overlay.

But, even then, you won't be able to move or copy and paste existing map work within CMBN. So a mapper either has to plan a 4km x 4km map with these limits in mind, or use the HTML Mapping Tool and get the freedom to place and reuse map sections anywhere.

That is no solution to me.

I invest a lot of time into recreating an area. Making it exactly the same as in the real world is not my goal. I try to make it as best looking as possible. No zigzag roads and fences, no akward elevations, no jiggly fields.

This is also the reason why I don't think the graphic overlay tool will be of much use to me, since IMO recreating a map 100% from a picture/satellite fotography/map/etc. doesn't look good in Combat Mission. One should always alter the dimensions a little bit to achieve better looks.

For the future, I will most likely plan ahead better, but it is really an issue that doesn't have to exist...

Rokko:

You can use the HTML Tool and still distort, beautify, or completely ignore the real-life terrain. What it gives you that you don't have now is the ability to place whatever terrain you create in any area of a 4 x 4 km map that you want.

(The biggest limitation to the tool, IMHO, is that you can't enlarge the size of its "paintbrush" so you have to click every 8m x 8m cell. I don't know if StoneAge can invent a way around that, but I hope so.)

I see. I must have mistaken it with that another mapping tool.

But still, I don't really feel the motivation doing everything all over again just because of some stupid and unnecessary limitation.

Luckily, not everything was in vain, it's only that I can't depict a small strip of terrain that I originally intended to be part of the map though.

The solution to this problem has existed for months now. Go to the Repository and download the HTML Mapping Tool. Also search for and read the threads about it on the forum.

In essence, you use the tool to make your map in 400m by 400m sections. Then the tool automatically draws them in the CMBN map editor, anywhere within the 4000m x 4000m box you want them to go.

So, for example, that section with the Abbey d'Ardennes in it can be placed at the East end of the map, or the middle, or in a spot 3 sections from the top and 5 sections from the left.

But unfortunately, the work you already did in the editor can't be moved.

One consolation is that redrawing maps or sections of maps within CMBN will be MUCH easier and faster with CMBN 2.0, because we'll have the ability to trace our map designs using a graphic overlay.

But, even then, you won't be able to move or copy and paste existing map work within CMBN. So a mapper either has to plan a 4km x 4km map with these limits in mind, or use the HTML Mapping Tool and get the freedom to place and reuse map sections anywhere.

Hello Broadsword, do you recall the authors name. I've tried searching the Repository with no results. Sounds like a tool that I need.

Don't be put off by the long help file (help.htm) that comes with the tool. StoneAge took the time to document everything step by step, with lots of screenshots too. And there's an appendix to the file that has really valuable tips on using features of Google Earth (like the polygon technique for displaying elevation contours).

I've use the tool on a couple of maps now, and it's worked pretty well. Try it with a small test area first, and it gets much easier as you get accustomed to using it.

Another thing I noticed is that when you set the alignment of roofs in the editor, your selection won't be saved. Everytime you load a 3D view it gets chosen by random.

I also wonder, if I write a bout issues like that here, does someone in charge of changing stuff actually read it? I mean I appreciate condolences, but someone looking into it and considering a change for a patch or maybe the upgaming 2.0 upgrade would help me and other people more.

Rokko its in your War Chest maybe take a break for a week forgetaboutit and you'll get the map bug again.

Often I have wanted to put my keyboard and usb drive throught the monitor and to fix a cup of coffee and pour it on my motherboard.

Ya get into something and then WHAM it's like impossible or a big pain in the .. and its suppose to be enjoyable.

Maybe come back to it later ....

And anyone named StoneAge has got to be patient.