camera: looking up

I just noticed that it is impossible to look up. In all view modes (1-9) the lowest point will put the eye on level with the horizon. On moving up the centre of the view will drop below the horizon.

This makes it impossible to look up hills. The need is surprisingly seldom - I just noticed after playing since CMBN came out. But when you need it, it is very annoying not to be able to.

I use mostly 3 & 4 and very seldom 1 & 9. IMHO some keys could be used to have a view that 'ends' in an upward movement.

Something really nice would be a 'look to' command where you pick a spot on the map and the view locks on this - similar to the view lock on a unit. But that's probably for an upgrade.

I'm not sure I understand the question. If I do understand, the view can be pivoted upward as beatmasta said, right click and hold while moving the mouse forward. You can also pivot the view upward with the "up" arrow key.

Most terrain in CMBN scenarios is flat enough that I don't need to pivot upward except when using the zoom view... then it's a necessity when trying to zoom in on certain sections of the map.

Hmm - I should really read the manual sometimes... ;)

Thanks beatmasta & Rake - I somehow missed that feature. But I should have known better. Something as basic as that would have caused earlier complaints.

The right mouse thing is a bit awkward to use if you only have a trackpad without buttons. But the arrow keys do nicely.

Most terrain is flat, yes. But now I have to get up a hill which makes up most of the map. This is why I stumbled over this in first place.

Actually I tried that - but by zooming in from above. But somehow the grenade vanishes when I get closer. Since I'm on a system with comparable weak graphics I just thought that's the way it is. Maybe it works from below.

I just tried that out this morning, c3K, in order to determiune if my barrage was falling short, or if my oppo was shelling me at the same time.

Actually I tried that - but by zooming in from above. But somehow the grenade vanishes when I get closer. Since I'm on a system with comparable weak graphics I just thought that's the way it is. Maybe it works from below.

Peosel, use your mouse wheel very slowly when you start getting in close, then use your zoom in key ("X"?) so that the camera won't "go past" it.