HV-DS Rounds

I am just wondering (after doing a search and not finding anything explicit) if there are going to be some tanks in some missions that have regular AP rounds and some of those high velocity discarded sabot rounds that were developed (during WWII I think).

------------------

desert rat wannabe

Yes, HVDS, HVAP, PzGr40 and all those other "special AP" rounds will be modelled.

They are modelled using the T type of ammo but all are individually and separately modelled per gun.

------------------

Fionn Kelly

Manager of Historical Research,

The Gamers Net - Gaming for Gamers

Thanks Fionn. Will we be selecting which type of round to use on those pesky hull down jagdpanzers (like we select HE or somke now) or will the skipper automatically know which type of AP round to use.

Also, can you tell me how a discarded sabot round is better for busting through tough armour even though it loses part of its mass during flight. Does it have to do with the shape or the materials (tungsten) in the shell.

------------------

desert rat wannabe

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Also, can you tell me how a discarded sabot round is better for busting through tough armour even though it loses part of its mass during flight.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Almost immediately after being fired, the "nose cone" falls away revealing the round to be something of a dart. The dart is moving very very fast and when it strikes the target, all of the kinetic energy is translated into the tank immediately. The round could simply punch into the tank and start rattleing around... It could push so much energy through the tip that it could "weld" itself to the tank and cause super heated metal to spall around on the inside... Modern DU rounds have the added ability to ignite under those pressures... Not sure what the older materials could do (or how dense they are)

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Does it have to do with the shape or the materials (tungsten) in the shell.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes.

Someone with much more knowlege on the subject will probably fill in the blanks. I've seen some on how modern rounds work and am just transposing that knowlege to WWII.

Goanna - no, you can't select which round your tank will use. The TacAI does that for you and will select its ammo as it sees fit. Since these special types of ammo were pretty rare, it has to run into something really really tough to use them, like one of those Kingtiger suckers smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>tell me how a discarded sabot round is better for busting through tough armour even though it loses part of its mass during flight. Does it have to do with the shape or the materials (tungsten) in the shell.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It has to do with the ratio of projectile mass and frontal area. The penetrator of the APDS round weighs about the same as an entire APC shot, the sabot's weight being relatively insignificant. However, the APDS penetrator has only about 1/4 or less the frontal area of the full caliber APC shot, which means the penetrator doesn't slow down from air drag nearly as much as APC. Thus, while both APDS and APC might have about the same muzzle velocity (about the same total mass and driving force in the tube), the APDS round keeps a much greater proportion of its speed at longer range. Thus, it delivers more energy to distant targets. Plus it gets there quicker, meaning greater accuracy both from flatter trajectory and less lead required on moving targets.

On top of this, the APDS round has better penetrating properties than an APC round moving at the same impact speed. This is because the APDS penetrator's impact energy is concentrated on a smaller area of the target. So, near the muzzle where there's not much difference in speed, the APDS round has somewhat higher penetration. But way down the range, the difference is much greater because the APDS round has so much more speed remaining, on top of hitting a smaller area of the target.

These days, I've read APDS has a higher MV than an APC round. I'm not sure why that is, but I think the early versions in WW2 had about the same MVs.

-Bullethead