fast tank parts replacements

All I see at 1:44 is a tank crewman brushing off a glass prism and sliding it into a viewport?

I think we can safely assume that this type of very minor "repair" is abstractly included in the game already, and that the "optics" damage in the game now represents more serious damage, harder to repair/replace on the fly.

Replacing a scratched piece of glass is one thing. But if the mount for the viewing prism is hit by an AP shell or large piece of shrapnel, the damage is likely to be more serious.

All I see at 1:44 is a tank crewman brushing off a glass prism and sliding it into a viewport?

I think we can safely assume that this type of very minor "repair" is abstractly included in the game already, and that the "optics" damage in the game now represents more serious damage, harder to repair/replace on the fly.

Replacing a scratched piece of glass is one thing. But if the mount for the viewing prism is hit by an AP shell or large piece of shrapnel, the damage is likely to be more serious.

I'm pretty sure BFC at one point said that the general "viewing ports" of a tank are resilient enough/reparable enough that damage to them isn't what "Optics" means. Damage to "Optics" represents impairment of the gun aiming optics in some fashion.

YankeeDog,

That kind of optics damage can and did disable an Tiger Kompanie at Kursk, where the Russians targeted ATRs and MGs on the vision blocks. Result? Entire Kompanie sidelined because vision block stocks in Kompanie and Bataillon were completely exhausted, forcing a two week wait for restock from Regiment. No tank was fightable. Worse, several TCs were disabled for weeks because vision block pieces entered their eyes or brackets and blocks were smashed into their faces. Hard.

From this, it's clear the Russian gunners followed their fighting instructions well: (Fair Use) http://english.battlefield.ru/antitank-rifle-booklet.html "The most vulnerable spots of tanks are: their flanks (fuel cells), drive sprocket, sights, vision devices, and rear hull (engine compartment); of armored vehicles - the engine, located in the forward portion of the vehicle." Granted, the list is shorter for a Tiger I, (talking about a Panzer III) but knocking out or crazing the vision blocks is sufficient to force the tank out of battle, especially a high intensity one. Sadly, the graphics didn't show up when I visited the site. I know of another case in Tunisia in which a German infantry company cornered and systematically shot up a Sherman so thoroughly it couldn't fight. All optics were smashed, the antenna was shot away, the turret was jammed, all MGs disabled, and I think they even damaged the tracks and running gear to immobilization.

Regards,

John Kettler