CM v2.0 - 'Combined Arms' for QB's?

Any plans to have a form of 'Combined Arms' for the new CM v2.0?

In other words, currently you can have only infantry, or only armor, or an unlimited amount of either within your point limit. With 'Combined Arms', you were limited to a certain proportion of your points for Armor, Artillery, Fortifications, Vehichles, Infantry and so on. Kept the forces really even for competitive PBEM play.

With the new category setups in CMx2 games, there could be a limit to Infantry, Mech, Armor, Artillery and Fortifications.

Any plans to include some form of this?

You got me curious, myself. I just tried a human-selected Italian army 'Mixed' QB and the unit selector gave me the whole shootin' match to choose from. I just selected Semovente 90, three Carro Commando M42s, Italian Pioneers, and 81mm mortars. I'm now off having fun. Ah, the joys of being a Beta tester. :)

You got me curious, myself. I just tried a human-selected Italian army 'Mixed' QB and the unit selector gave me the whole shootin' match to choose from. I just selected Semovente 90, three Carro Commando M42s, Italian Pioneers, and 81mm mortars. I'm now off having fun. Ah, the joys of being a Beta tester. :)

the salt doesn't sting as much knowing in a couple months we will have it too. Then we will get some Italian shoe grog to give you guys grief.

I assume the Mixed setting works the same as it does in CMBN. Combined Arms is different, as the OP wrote.

I assume the Mixed setting works the same as it does in CMBN. Combined Arms is different, as the OP wrote.

Just to be painfully clear, as I stated above, currently 'Mixed' is *not* the same as the CMx1 'Combined Arms'. Currently, under 'Mixed', you could spend all your points on MG42's. Or 81mm mortars. Or sniper teams. Or tanks. No enforced balance from the game. Which is fine if thats what your looking for, but if your looking for a more realistic (ie. infantry supported by armor, not a few sniper teams scouting for a mass of armor), balanced, and competitive system it is currently not possible under 'Mixed'.

Obviously this could be addressed by lengthly house rules, but even then, you could not ensure your opponent was being honest until after the game when you could see their stuff.

Just to be painfully clear, as I stated above, currently 'Mixed' is *not* the same as the CMx1 'Combined Arms'. Currently, under 'Mixed', you could spend all your points on MG42's. Or 81mm mortars. Or sniper teams. Or tanks. No enforced balance from the game. Which is fine if thats what your looking for, but if your looking for a more realistic (ie. infantry supported by armor, not a few sniper teams scouting for a mass of armor), balanced, and competitive system it is currently not possible under 'Mixed'.

Obviously this could be addressed by lengthly house rules, but even then, you could not ensure your opponent was being honest until after the game when you could see their stuff.

Seems like somewhat of an arbitrary enforcement to me, balanced forces are by far the most effective; choosing any of the setups you describe would be utterly suicidal. To me it seems you would be better off choosing random-mixed if you want to impose a restriction.

A hint system in the force selection screen would be the best solution to unrealistic force compositions (I have yet to encounter even a single "unbalanced" force in multiplayer though), I doubt anyone would select such a force on purpose if they knew how ineffective they are.

Seems like somewhat of an arbitrary enforcement to me, balanced forces are by far the most effective; choosing any of the setups you describe would be utterly suicidal.

That does depend to an extent on the map you're on. A great big open map (there are a couple in the QB selection might find a very armour-heavy force being unfeasibly effective.

If you want to have a free-for-all battle just for fun that puts an all MG force against an all Puma force, thats what 'Mix' is for.

Its not an either or scenario. 'Mix' has plenty of uses, but so does 'Combined Arms' - the biggest is competitive PBEM. The next biggest is AI battles - just finished a QB where the AI picked a 88mm AT gun and a bunch of MG42. I cant play against the AI and let it pick with 'Mix' because it tends to have all tanks and picking them for myself ruins the entire point of AI QB.

Steve? Moon? Any comments?

• 2 weeks later...

I tend towards QB's v the AI, when not playing PBEM's, and usually choose 'mix' for both sides with the computer picking both forces. I play tiny or small sized battles.

I prefer to have as much FoW as possible, so choosing 'mix' seems the optimal route to achieving that. Or it should be.

More often than not it produces an unfeasible force, such as 4 tanks, six HMG teams and a FO with no artillery assets. This might well be up against a force of AC's with a few on board mortars.

While these sort of encounters can be fun, sometimes, they are hardly representative and often have a detrimental effect on the 'AI' built into the QB maps. Which is a shame because most of the maps are excellent.

So, yes, having a sensibly balanced combined arms force would be a nice option, allowing more realistic and representative battles and bolstering the AI's limitations.

The Mix option gets a bad rap. Especially with Auto Purchase. Where else can a player lead 12 LMG teams, 8 MMG Jeeps, and 4 Snipers against a force composed entirely of 251/1 halftracks?

And if someone wants this experience, then 'Mix' is great for that complete randomness.

While not having 'Combined Arms' can be corrected for PBEM games with lengthly house rules and doing the math ourselves and trusting your opponent to do so, unless you pick the AI's forces yourself, I have yet to see a balanced force under 'Mix'. Which means your only real choice is to pick the AI force yourself, or play 'Infantry' only - which is what I have resorted too, and you then get a bunch of AT guns, mortars that fire all their rounds on the first turn and unsupported MG's. So if you resort to buying the forces yourself and know exactly what the other side has, it eliminates the entire point of AI QB. If your picking the force, might as well make it a scenario.

By no means am I saying that the current QB system is broke. Its wonderful and a huge improvement over CMx1 QB system. Theres just this one missing element that would greatly enhance both AI and PBEM play for those who are interested in more balanced, realistic forces that are fun to play against and offer much more of a challenge than 10 MG teams, 5 AT guns and INF guns that start firing all their ammo on the first turn.

If this were included I would want it as an extra option. I DEFINITLY would not want to see the free form mix option go away as I prefer to pick it as I want. I find I make much better forces than the AI can put together. I would be in favor of two types of mixed battle force options:

Mixed (what we have now with NO type limit)

Mixed – Fixed (Cmx1 style with limits per category)

I don't think anyone is advocating that. They were separate options in CMx1.

Exactly. There are those who prefer 100% random and no restrictions. Which is already in there under 'Mix' and/or 'Random'. I dont see a need to change that.

I only see a need for balanced forces in QB's. Against the AI this is currently not possible. For PBEM it would require lengthy house rules that are not enforceable.

So again, BFC, any plans on adding a form of the original Combined Arms?