Improved human models?

The models seem somehow more natural to me.

Especially this pic with the walking men on the street is quite atmospheric for lifeless pixeltruppen:

heer-infantry-+-trucks.jpg

heer-infantry.jpg

With the atmosphere these models seem to create now, and with such a great base, i can imagine that a future release of the game could even visually express the physical or psychological condition with very subtle dynamic model variations (slightly hanging shoulders, a flat breast, more bent, heavy breathing, shortened neck, ...).

There seem to be enhancements:

Graphics improvements:

Expanded Soldier details. A completely new way of assigning models and textures allows greater flexibility and variety of how Soldiers look in the game. It also allows for more flexible Modding possibilities.

http://www.battlefront.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=297&Itemid=507

Body proportions seem OK, but the men all look fairly jacked to me -- maybe CMSF Marines should look that way, but the majority of kids who fought WWII were kind of scrawny (growing up in the Depression), which got worse the longer they were in the field; their helmets, uniforms and gear looked baggy on them more often than not. The SS-HJ gorilla second nearest the camera in this shot is an exception; he's virtually too big for his helmet!

Body proportions seem OK, but the men all look fairly jacked to me -- maybe CMSF Marines should look that way, but the majority of kids who fought WWII were kind of scrawny (growing up in the Depression), which got worse the longer they were in the field; their helmets, uniforms and gear looked baggy on them more often than not. The SS-HJ gorilla second nearest the camera in this shot is an exception; he's virtually too big for his helmet!

I think that's mostly because the the game doesn't go so far as to model the uniforms so they the behave as actual cloth would -- draping on the frame of the soldier, changing shape with position. etc. It's all solid polygons, so soldiers tend to look "puffier" than they otherwise would.

And no, this is not a push for the addition of of dynamic 3D cloth modeling in to CM. It's #4,336 on my "desired additions to the game engine list," so I've got a lot of other stuff head of this.

I recall thinking the men in CMSF looked particularly 'well fed'. Then came the Russian soldiers in CM:Afghanistan who looked downright frail and willowy in comparison. CMBN seemed to be halfway between the two. Italy, I suppose, might appear a bit thinner since they're wearing fewer layers and not carrying backpacks.

More work has been done on shadows since the build those screenshots were taken with.

Has any work been done on the weapon textures? Many of them (i.e., the Garand, M1 Carbine, and K98) look far too "new" and bright and just don't really fit in with the surrounding textures.

Also, please, please, please, fix the bolt handle on the K98. :D I see from the pic above that it's still straight like a Yugoslavian Mauser and not bent like on a K98.

The models look good enough for me in CMBN and in those pics. I don't really zoom in so much. I understand that some people here love to make close pics and post them in the forum, but the actual gameplay happens quite above the pixeltruppen heads and I don't find it so urgent to improve their looks.

In the visual area, the game would benefit much more from improved terrain and lighting, corner-smoothing (I think I just made up this word) and such things. These are much more visible to the average player.

• 2 weeks later...
Modeling of the infantry is improved, for example the arms are shorter. But for the German helmet is still the same problem, see my post:

http://www.battlefront.com/community/showthread.php?t=102994

Why return to this model, while the helmet from the base version of the game is very good (I don't speak about the textures, but of 3D modeling)?

fugazy,

Sorry to take so long to respond. I only found out about this bug today thanks to a beta tester sending this my way.

Thanks for finding the bug and posting about it. I don´t have a clue how that happened.

It will be fixed in Italy though and will also be in the upcoming patch for the Commonwealth module.

-